Problem with car audio system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pgonzalez1 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone.
I have two amps hooked up to a capacitor. One amp is a 800 watt kicker pushing a 15' solo baric subwoofer. This is a two channel amp. The other is a JBL 320 watt hooked up with six speakers. This is a four channel amp. Before I connected the sub, everything was working good. Now that I have hooked up the subwoofer, the JBL amp dimms and causes my mids to create a wierd sound. This sound is audible when the bass kicks in. Im thinking i need to run two seperate cables from my battery (One for each amp). What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
pgonzalez1
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Would you be able to tell us what power alternater you have in your car? Maybe a second auxilliary battery would help you with the extra power you need. You can find stinger batteries or optima batteries that do not give off poisonous fumes and can be installed in your car/trunk.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
First off you need to upgrade your big three...The capacitor isn't goin to do much besides prolong the inevitable...a dead alternator.
Upgrade the big three and see if the lights still dim...if they still do than you prolly need a new alternator...or you could look at stinger or kinetik power cells.
BUT FIRST UPGRADE THE BIG THREE...if you haven't already
pgonzalez1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 80 Watt alternator. I want to try and run an independant cable from the battery for the JBL Amp. One for each amp, just to see if it still creates that audible problem. Do you think I can cause damage to anything if I do this?
PS: what is the big three? Im sorry, im not that familiar with car audio jargon.:)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

Search is your friend. Also read the what is a proper ground sticky as both of these suggestions need to be followed before you head out and blow your wad on the wrong wiring.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Big three...sticky up top...great info.
Running another power wire won't hurt anything...just fuse it.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
In addition to all the info mentionned, the guage of wire used for power and ground are important. This depends on distance between the source(battery) and amp. The greater the distance, the lower the guage needed for minimal or no loss of power. Subs need lots of power to make the cone move.
If you have an additional battery in your trunk near to the amps, you can get better power with shorter wires. I have done this, where the distance of power cable between battery and amps is merly 1 foot. I used 4 guage and that is plenty. Wires that aren't of proper guage will lose power. That goes for the ground wire as well.
pgonzalez1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2006 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate all the input from all of yall.
pgonzalez1

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic