the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Puked two tweeters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Sony CDX-M630 head unit, one pair of factory speakers(behind the seat), and a pair of Memphis Power Reference 5" x 7" in the doors in a 97 F150.  I just puked the second tweeter in the right door.  Both speakers puked the tweeter after around a month of playing.  I sent them back to the factory for the second time.  I do not have an external amplifier on the Memphis speakers, so I can't be overpowering the speakers.  The tweeters don't seem to be distorting, so I didn't think I was clipping them.  My dealer/installer is employed by Rob Bess, and he said that I was clipping them and that I should get a small amp to clean up the signal and that would stop my problem of blowing my tweeters.  This I am in the process of doing, but do I have a problem with my head unit as well, because it has been the same exact speaker.  The factory speakers are still working fine.  Any insight on this problem would be much apreciated.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, clipping is by far the fastest way to kill tweeters.  Sounds to me like you are turning up the volume on your head unit too far... assuming you are using a proper crossover with them.
Support the12volt.com
dangerranger96 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

I am using the high pass filter on the head unit to filter out the bass on the speakers. I'm using the built in crossover for the tweeter, but thats all that I have in between the head unit and the actual speakers.  I am also using the factory wiring.

97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

Then I suspect your HU is clipping.

Support the12volt.com
dangerranger96 
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

I have ordered a refurbished Planet Audio VX-602 amplifier from ebay.  Will this solve my problem with the clipping? 

97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  
It will definitely help it out. Remember that your tiny little amp in the cd player is struggling to produce 15 watts of clean honest power, above that it is to the point of clipping in most cd players.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dangerranger96 
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Should i run new wires to the doors? Or should i just tie in to the factory wiring? Will it make a huge difference if I do one or the other?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Personally, whenever I install a new amp, it has new wiring to go with it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dangerranger96 
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

My guess is that you have at least once wired up the doors on an 97-03 F150.  Can you give me a quick explanation of how I would get the wire from the speaker location to the floor of the truck. I took a look at it quickly, and it looks like there might be a large amount of work involved.

dangerranger96 
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

I took a longer look at my truck last night and getting to the door boot(loom?) doesnt look to be that hard now.  My only problem now is to figure out what I'm going to do about my wiring.  I have an 8awg power and ground wiring kit with a 50amp agu inline fuse to my current amp, but that 8awg won't carry enough power cool enough to 2 seperate amps, at least that is my understanding.  Should I go buy enough 4awg wire to run that from my battery, through my fuse and on to a distribution block, and run my current 8 gauge from the distribution blocks to the amps, and get a bigger agu fuse, something like a 60 or 70?  If I did this, would I need to put inline fuses after the distribution block as well?  Or is my going about this all wrong?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic