icon

led keep buring out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zzachattack2 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have a set of relays which work fine but as soon as i connect a set of relays (1 200 amp stinger and 2 80 stinger which are fairly large) which turn on from the same 12v power wire as the led's, several of the led's stop working, permanantly. Any ideas? It was suggested to me that the large relays might be drawing a quick large surge which could be burning out the LED's. Could this be true? If so what can i do about it?
zzachattack2 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry at the beginning that was supposed to be "I have a set of LED's"
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a voltage problem. Make sure that the voltage that you test the leds on is the same to the voltage they are being connected to.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
zzachattack2 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
It is the same voltage, they only difference between when they work fine and when they burn out is the relays are connected to the same 12v power wire
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
are you saying its the same because you have actually tested it with a DMM or jus tthink its the same because its connected to a 12V?
zzachattack2 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
No I'm just saying its connect to the same physical 12v wire. They seem to burn out when i connect the relays to that same power source (12v wire). I'm going to try connecting it to a seperate 12v wire and see if that does anything.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
thats what im saying. Test the voltage output of the relay that the leds are connected to so you make sure its definitely 12V. The only other thing I can think of is that you have the relay hooked up wrong and its blowing the leds.
zzachattack2 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 3:47 AM / IP Logged  
Alright sorry I must have confused you, the relays don't actually drive the LED's powersource, but they are turned on by the same 12v wire that powers the LED's. They carry a much heavier 4-guage wire from the battery. However being that they are very large relays, its reasonable to assume that they draw a considerable current for the time they are engaged.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Do the LEDs burn out when the relay energizes or drops out?  What kind of resistor do you have inline to the LEDs to limit current?
Kevin Pierson
12vdeej 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

If the the leds burn out when the relay switches off then i am fairly certain i know why. The coil in the relay is essential an inductor, and when a current stops flowing through it, a phenomina known as 'back EMF' takes place causing a high voltage spike on the power lines which can easily blow leds. This is why you see diodes connected accross relay coils, as it allows a low resistance path for the current to flow away from sensitive components. The diagram below is not for your specific situation, but shows how you should connect a diode in reverse polarity accross the relay coil. hope this helps

led keep buring out -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic