icon

fiberglass spoiler project, pix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

Sup guys, lately I've been shopping around for spoilers / wings and all I'm finding are ricey wings. I'm not putting a 10" high wing on the back of my saturn...doesn't make sense fiberglass spoiler project, pix -- posted image..

So I decided to make my own and I have a few sketches I'd like for you guys to look over and tell me what you think. It's a very simple wing, not really using it for down force just looks. I want something aggressive but not ricey.

So I came up with this...

fiberglass spoiler project, pix -- posted image.

Thats the graphic I came up with. The skeleton or frame sketch looks like this.

fiberglass spoiler project, pix -- posted image.

Think this design will work? The frame will wrapped and fiberglassed and will have inserts on the inner-sides for the carbon fiber wing. The wing is no more then 5" off the hood of the car.

cheers!
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

do you plan to mold the carbon fiber yourself?  if you dont have the proper tools thats pretty much impossible.  You have to pull a vacume on the part to make it cure properly. 

I'm not an engineer so sorry i cant help much more. 

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
I am a little confused, your rendering and your sketch look completely different.
Following behind sawhit, you need to gather all appropiate tools first before you attempt a carbon fiber project if you want it to come out like something you would purchase in a store.
Nothing is impossible, just make sure you have properly prepared yourself. To get you started read this PDF on
Vacuum Infusion - The Equipment and Process of Resin Infusion
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2006 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i didn't mean to come off as if it is actually impossible, but to do it right will require a pretty big investment (time and money).  I know for me just having a cool looking wing wouldn't be enough to demand the large investment of equipment, time, and money.  Maybe the best thing to do would be to wrap it in carbon fiber, instead of actually making it out of carbon fiber.  That may have been his intentions all along, he just hasn't replied. 
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
Well, if anyone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to make it happen.
I hope that he will continue to want to do carbon fiber projects so the equipment does not go to waste.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
satfrk32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

like saw said, i'll be wrapping it in carbon fiber, not making it out of carbon fiber. the wing design changed a tiny bit. my goal is to look something like this:

http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/storeconsumer/uploads/images_products_large/238.jpg

I'm not willing to pay 300 for a wing and make it fit my car. I'm guessing this project  won't cost anymore than $80. Minus the paint job.

Unless I find a cheaper fiberglass wing I'm starting this project in August.

cheers!
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
I would try to find Carbon Fiber material locally since there in a shortage in the industry right now. It is in very high demand. It is already expense as it, but with the shortage going on, you can expect hiked prices.
This Article is a good read about what is going on.
satfrk32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

true, thx.

question...do you think the frame i made will be good? my whole idea is to keep the side flaps as smooth and round as possible. I don't want any corners.

cheers!
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
it will cost you more than 80 bucks. 5.7oz carbon is running around $65 a yard right now, plus epoxy resin... sand paper.. clear coat...  working with carbon is not cheap when the prices arent through roof.
Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it, but you are scared of the consequences.
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
your probably looking at like a couple hundred to built this wing . It maybe easier for you to buy a pre fab wing and cut it down how you want it and reglass it .. wings around here (Fla) are cheap now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic