icon

Alpine type R

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
langer06 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

I just recently had system installed in 2006 Ranger ext. cab. Pio 6800MP hu, Alpine M650 amp running 600 Watts RMS @ 2ohms to an alpine type R  4ohm.  The sub box is a bassworx SW12B (Sealed wedge style,  1 cubic foot).  Installer used 8 gauge power wire... Im not exactly impressed with the sound of this sub, I know its a decent sub.. was wondering if a different box would help?? Would 4 gauge power wire help? Im turning the deck volume into high 30s with less than impressive bass.. any thoughts would help.

Now Im regretting not getting a type X with alpine 1005 amp.

slipone 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
i have an alpine type r swr 1241d.  and im only feeding it 200w at 2ohms at the moment.  my opinion, this is a really good speaker.  for advice on your question, i think he shouldve used 4 ga. but ill leave that advice to the other pros on here.  like i said, i <3 type-r
Proudly stuffing large packages into small boxes since 1983.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

I having similiar issues with a type s alpine same amp. I used a box with 1.15 cube perside stuffed with polyfill. Its ok but nothing to pee over. Its been suggested to build  a bigger box, it will ultimately be the customers decision. Also your installer should have used a minimum of 4 gauge. Get a bigger box, and I would have the run 4 gauge or 2 gauge.

slipone 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
what model number type-r is it? i building my box this weekend to 2.4 cu ft. slot ported at a right angle 1" x 14.5" at 17" in length, tuned to 28hz.  i intend on taking pics of the build and SPL testing. i will post.
Proudly stuffing large packages into small boxes since 1983.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
I had two Type R's in a custom ported box that I built with about 240 watts rms to each and it sounded great...don't know whats wrong with your sub though.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
langer06:  Use a box twice that size, vented.  Get some pro help in designing it.  If you have any more questions, post the model number of the sub in question.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
a568272 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Are  you sure that your installer wired the voice coils in parallel?  I know you said the amp was running at two ohms, but are you sure?

langer06 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  

It's a SWR-1242D, is a ported box  recommended over sealed for this sub? If so can you recommend what size and tuned to what.

langer06 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  

a56, no Im not sure, I woulda thought with this amp the sub woulda pounded, maybe I was expecting too much...

boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic