icon

older excelon

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
I had a buddy ask me today what i thought could be wrong with his deck and I wanted to run the same question by all of you guys to see if I missed anything. My friend has an older kenwood excelon den from 2000 or 2001 with a flip out face. Dont know the model number, Im still trying to obtain that. Recently the digital face of the deck has stopped displaying anything at all and the volume is stuck t the highest level. The volume cant be turned down and the display doesnt work nor do any of the buttons. I told him to check the wiring in the harness to see if anything has come loose. I also said that if everything looks fine it sounds like the deck is toast. Any other thing syou all can think of? is this a known problem with the excelon decks of the timeframe?
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I had a I think Apline CDA-9827 deck, worked fine for a while, but the volume button stop working. The volume could be adjusted in a rotary manner, but when you press the button to access Fader, balance, etc... It would not worked unless you pressed REAL hard.
I think what may have happen with the eXcelon and the tilting face. The mechanical motor mechanism, through much use can wear down prematurely. I presume there is a short in the face plate between the main flow of signals and the interface to adjust the value, leaving it stuck at the highest volume and disconnected from the controls not allowing it turned down.
I would take it to a electronics technician, a DeVry graduate or something, and have them look at it on a component level. Dismantling the entire face plate.
It will be a very thorough repair. I'd say scrap it and get something better with newer features.   Then again that deck could be sentimental to your friend and may want to have it repaired.
Also, sending it in to Kenwood themselves would be the best since they designed it and their technicians have experience with that particular product line.
      Cheers!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
studum 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

Melted Fabric wrote:
Also, sending it in to Kenwood themselves would be the best since they designed it and their technicians have experience with that particular product line. 

This is the best but I'm pretty sure you'll end up paying through your nose. Try resetting the deck with the reset button first if you haven't already tried. I had my face die on me on my KDC-X859 (I think that's the one I had) and resetting it fixed it until it died for good.

It was one of my favourite decks that I've ever owned

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
I will say ribbon cable hands down.....you could repair it yourself...have a electronics repair place repair it....But I wouldnt send it to kenwood, it might be more pricy then buying a new deck all together.
I have now seen at least a dozen with ribbon cables go bad on them.   Im really surprised your firends lasted as long as it did
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic