icon

Dynamat Removal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iracekx 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have Dynamated the bed of my truck for my stereo system. I have now removed it to be able to carry my dirt bike to the track. I have started removing it with a heat gun and putty knife. It is some of the original Dynamat and the super. I want to clean the adhesive off without damaging the paint to much. Is there anybody out there that has tried to remove it with good success. I have tried some bug and tar remover but it is going to take allot fo it and scrubbing to get it off. Laquer thinner works but it is too harsh for the paint. I hope someone out there has some ideas thanks in advance.
Life begins at 150..........On a 2005 Blue R1. Full Akrapovic race system/PC3/Chrome wheels/Greggs flush mount turn signals/LP sliders/LP bra/Clifford 2.5/Pit Bull front & Rear stands/
oscarnl86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

go to any place were they sell automotive paint and yhey sould have a adhesive remover it comes in a  presurised spray bottle (like those engine degreser cans) that stuff is realy good with the adhesive and if your tring to take off some old stickers or whatever off your pain its a wonder it wont harrm it. ill try to get the name of it and post it

the can is blue with a red cap

hope that helps

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

Try a steamer, it works on small areas never done a big job like that yet. As mentioned above aerosol engine degreaser will break down the adhesive for removal.

oscarnl86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
just making it clear xtremej not engine degreser all you get if you use that is a very clean paintDynamat Removal - Last Post -- posted image. its adhesive remover. just making it clear
iracekx 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
oscarnl86 wrote:

go to any place were they sell automotive paint and yhey sould have a adhesive remover it comes in a  presurised spray bottle (like those engine degreser cans) that stuff is realy good with the adhesive and if your tring to take off some old stickers or whatever off your pain its a wonder it wont harrm it. ill try to get the name of it and post it

the can is blue with a red cap

Let me know the name of it when you find out I appreciate the info.

hope that helps

Life begins at 150..........On a 2005 Blue R1. Full Akrapovic race system/PC3/Chrome wheels/Greggs flush mount turn signals/LP sliders/LP bra/Clifford 2.5/Pit Bull front & Rear stands/
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering when someone was going to ask that question. I have not dealt with it yet, although I have to remove some stock sound dampening material soon from a Concorde.
Good luck with it.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic