icon

What’s more dangerous, sub power ratings

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
studum 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

ok guys since you have convinced me not to buy the Audiobahn amp I have decided to keep my PG Xenon 400.1. I would though still like to get back into a dual sub setup again though, composed of 2 10s or 2 12s.

Right now I'm running a single Infinity 1230w in a 1.15 cu.ft. box and it sounds good, but lacks the punch that I like when listening to rock type music. (i.e. Fuel, Theory of a Dead Man, Puddle of Mudd etc.) My eq is much more often than not on flat.

I've been looking at getting back into a pair of Kickers but nothing fits my amp perfectly. My question is what will be less harmful to the equiment (i.e. not blow up on me but sound good). From the birth certificate my amp is 407 watts RMS @ 1kHz @ 14.4v.

Setup option 1: 2 x Comp (10" or 12") rated @ 150 watts rms each. Overpower each sub by 50 watts, or 30%.

Setup option 2: 2 x CompVR 10" rated @ 300 watts rms each. Underpower each sub by 100 watts, or 30%.

Setup option3: 2 x CompVR 12" rated @ 400 watts rms each. Underpower each sub by 200 watts, or 50%.

Thanks for your opinions.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
One new Kicker CVX 10"   yes you will under power it but it will sound ohhhh so nice.......
Later when you ready for your next upgrade, set it up on a 1000 watt amp....real power no BS...just like the specs you quoted
BUT   the is one problem with the spces you quoted, they are measured at 1khz, not to nice for a sub amp, but realistically you should see 300WRMS at sub frequencys with that amp
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
studum 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

jeffchilcott wrote:
BUT   the is one problem with the spces you quoted, they are measured at 1khz, not to nice for a sub amp, but realistically you should see 300WRMS at sub frequencys with that amp

I was wondering about this. The amp is CEA rated so to my understanding the test was completed at 1kHz. I didn't know what to really expect for power output at sub frequencies. Even the lowpass filter on the amp can only be set to 300 Hz max, how do they even test the amp @ 1 kHz  What’s more dangerous, sub power ratings -- posted image. 

I had thought about a comp VX, but will it give me the output with only the surface area of a 10" driver?  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic