icon

Mirror Plexiglass/Plexiglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mitch04 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Alrighty, first things first. I am building a sub box for my 95 avenger for 2 T2 12" Rockfords, and I want to line the inside with "mirror" plexiglass. Does the stuff on selectproducts.com actually look like a mirror when it is used to line the inside, or is it too see-thru? Next, on the backside of the box I want to put in a 12X24 inch piece of 3/4 inch plexiglass. The box will be made of 1" mdf. Will a 1/4 inch ledge be enough for the glass or will it break off? I plan on using screw and silicone, but this is going to be a decently high-powered sub setup(2000 rms). I also am going to put a neon tub inside the box, has anyone had problems with bulbs shattering under that much pressure? And sandblasting a logo on the plexi, do you just tape off what u don't want sandblasted, or will it eat through the tape? I'm thinking of a nice RF logo. Thanks for your help.
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
The Select mirror plexi is rather nice stuff. Its actually mirror, you wont be able to see through it. As far as the plexi I dont think it will be enough.  I could be wrong though .
Cris
killakam 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
i used to make sandblasted signs. although we used a computer program im sure you will be able to find the right stuff. you shouldnt use tape it will eat through it. what we used was 3M/Scotch Brand Tape Buttercut. its kind of a rubbery stuff.
Mirror Plexiglass/Plexiglass -- posted image.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

I had mirror plexi on a lot of parts on my car back in the early 80's ( http://community.webshots.com/photo/91560914/1091562284049730488DOFZXU )

The stuff I used was 1/8" with an applied mirror backing that was easily scratched and somewhat easy to remove but I never had any see through issues as it was right from the company. I did in spots remove the backing to where I had tinted see through plexiglass for special effects.

From what I remember the 1/4" from the same company I was dealing with the backing (silvering) was floated on just like a home glass mirror but the 1/8" could not be done that way as it was too thin and they had warping problems.

What I did to limit damaging the backside was before I peeled off the protective plastic sheeting on the frontside was to get some rattle can silver and after wiping the backside with some alchohol to remove finger oils I dusted a few coats on that side and then after that dried applied a heavier coat. If I tried applying to heavy of a first coat it could screw up the silver backing on it and it would also want to fisheye some.

Anything you glue to the backside with the miror stuff on it could distort it or react to it and if it had something glued to it and it didn't react then it might pull the silvering off if ever removed and could not be reused.

I bought all of my mirror plexi (and also clear plastic port tube material, regular plexiglass and lexan type material) from a local company called Cope Plastics. They had a place in Saint Louis, Missouri and also a place or two somewhere else.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic