icon

LED Headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kardain 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2006 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  
No, the topic is not a typo... I'm not looking to put LED's in headlights, but trying to figure out if it is possible (and potentially safe) to construct a set of LED headlights.
The donor headlight is from a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. Someone I know has contracted my help to design and prototype a set of functional LED headlights (as I am quite familiar with the wiring of LED's). I have a feeling that, while the concept is sound, the light output will be quite poor using the brightest white LED's that I can find (as LED's are not really designed for projection at long distance, whereas a halogen or HID bulb would be ideal).
I'm looking for constructive input. Is this a feasible project, or should it go back to the drawing board?
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Not a feasible project, at least at this stage of LED developement.
stealthone 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  
At this point and time in LED technology, LED's are made to be seen, not to see by. The Phillips corporation is rapidly working to change that in their Luxeon division, but haven't quite gotten there yet.
mark-s 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

Cree is working on a 10 watt die for car headlights.  They also have a 40 watt that gets a reflector and hangs below police helicopters. 

Visteon:  http://www.visteon.com/products/automotive/ledfront_lighting.shtml

And I've heard that Porsche has LED headlights in Germany and is only waiting for NHTSA to see the light.  (snicker)

Tomorrow isn't far off.

Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
My town here in TX has recently gone to using LED's on all their new streetlights.  They've been using the LED traffic lights for sometime now, I just noticed the most recent new streetlights are all LED.  It's really quite an eerie glow that they put out.  But it shows they are beginning to be able to use LED's for larger scale illumination, so it's not out of the question.  
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic