icon

Fiberglass Amp Racks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95cat 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, I just started finished doing the first coats of fiberglassing for two amp racks. I`m using the basic design of placing the amps in the front corners of the trunk.

This principle...

Fiberglass Amp Racks - Last Post -- posted image. 

How do you mount the amp without any piece of mdf behind it, and how do you run the wires through the fiberglass and the outer trunk carpet?

95 Mercury Cougar
Eclipse HU
12" Memphis m3
Memphis 1000.1d
RF Power 6x9
kmapro 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

I would think the best way to accomplish that look would be to make templates out of cardboard and build it out of mdf vs. fiberglass.

Cut and shape the cardboard to fit like you want, and then transfer the template to some 1/2" mdf, cut the mdf out, put it together and then carpet...

95cat 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, would I only need to build the front, sides and top then? Also how do I mount the amp without a backing to screw into?

95 Mercury Cougar
Eclipse HU
12" Memphis m3
Memphis 1000.1d
RF Power 6x9
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Be creative and think, your imagination is your limit. I would use 2 pieces of wood 2"x2" and make sure they are square to the amp, and screw it onto the amp and mount the ends to the cover of the amp.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
I've done those with mdf and 1/4" mdf. It's just a concept of making a cover for the amplifier.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
In my amp rack i made a box that the amp slid into, with about a quarter inch of clearence around it.  Then i cut a square hole in the wood i wanted to mount the amp to the same size as the box the amp was in.  Then i glued the "amp box" to the sheet and put a few of those little L shaped brackets on it from home depot to brace it.  Then i drilled holes in the back of the amp box to allow some air flow around it
Greg S 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
95cat wrote:

Hi, I just started finished doing the first coats of fiberglassing for two amp racks. I`m using the basic design of placing the amps in the front corners of the trunk.

This principle...

Fiberglass Amp Racks - Last Post -- posted image. 

How do you mount the amp without any piece of mdf behind it, and how do you run the wires through the fiberglass and the outer trunk carpet?

Well in the case of the picture you used, mine BTW.

The amp I mounted has a top mounting lip so the front panel was the only one which needed to be made out of MDF.  Generally you make the back panel out of MDF with the front having an opening large enough to screw the amp on to it and then you make a seperate trim panel that goes over the top of the enclosure to cover the wires, gap and screws.

Greg Stoddard

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic