the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

stealth panel and sound limitation?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AZ-ss 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

Good sounding sub.

It's shops like those that give me great clients. I cannot stand the "we know everything and you can't know jack" attitude. Come on people, it's car audio not neuro-surgery.

From what I've seen of the W3v2 series, they do move a fair amount. You have a legitimate concern. I would give them at least a half inch of space between the rubber face of the mounting flange and the backside of the grill.

How to get it done?

That depends on how the grill assembly is attached to the face of the box. If you can take some detailed pics I'm sure a solution can be suggested.

Should you do it?

Sure. If you can look past the fact that you forked out the $$ for them to do it and you have to spend some time and get your hands dirty.

OH YEAH, it also depends if you have some knowledge of power tool safety and have access to some power tools. (drill, saw and stapler)

AZ-ss 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

typo^

I've also played with the W3V3. (dirr!!)

intargc 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ok... I took some pictures. They're High Res, so I'll just let you go to the link below and view them. You can see what I'm talking about a bit.
You can see the pieces of MDF that he has attached to the box that the panel attaches to. They're not giving much room at all. It's pretty much flush with the speaker hardware.
I'm thinking I can find some thicker pieces of MDF to put in the place of the 3 that are already there. Another 1/2" and I'd be good. I just don't know where to get MDF from. Home Depot??
[url]http://www.totaldeanism.com/images/box/[/url]
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

You don't have to use mdf.  But if you want to try calling some cabinet shops or other car audio shops to see if they have any  chunks laying around . I would just use pine, it will work fine and it easier to work with. Maybe buy a 2x3 and chop it up that would give them plenty of room to move around.

AZ-ss 
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

No Problem!

You can probably get away with only adding 1/4 inch strips on top of the strips already mounted on you box. You can glue them in place with a quality wood glue (gorilla is good) Also, I would add a strip of carpet in between the grill and the strips that you add. This is in case the grill flexes, it's not going to rattle against the the wood.

Also, if by chance you notice any ringing from the metal mesh grill against the wood border it's mounted to, run a bead of THICK glue or silicon where the wood and mesh grill meet.

Good Luck!

intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.
I went to Home Depot and found 1" MDF. Had them cut 3 strips that match the site of the current ones and got some Gorilla glue. Glued them together (That stuff is messy!) and put everything back in place. Looks like it did before, but now there is plenty of space between the panel and the speakers and I'm happy.
I just don't get how the installer didn't notice this or even care about the panel being SO close to the speakers. There was about 1/8 of an inch between those speakers and the panel and he said there was "No way that there would be any sound limitation in the cabin due to the panel."
All I can say is that I know I won't be going to that HiFi Buys again. I'll just make the longer trip out to the Kennesaw (the one I always went to before) HiFi Buys next time I want custom work done. They always did everything right in that location.
AZ-ss 
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Awesome!

If there is anything that is more frustrating than a shop doing shoddy work, it's when the shop acts like they can do no wrong and that the customer doesn't know jack.

Hope you enjoy. And you should pit your system up against one of their  "No way that there would be any sound limitation in the cabin due to the solid panel."  (sigh) morons.

Then again, maybe they know something I don't, like how to defy the laws of physicsstealth panel and sound limitation? - Page 3 -- posted image. (riiight)

intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I just gave up on trying to convince them. I know for a fact that it sounds a lot better now. I just know I won't go back there again.
Thanks again for your help.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Good thread!  But the part about the Gorilla glue being messy...NOT!  It's about the un-messiest glue you can use for wood.  Did you use it right, glue on one side and spray water on the other?  I use a 1" putty knife to spread the glue thin.  When the glue cures in a couple hours and expands along the seam, just scrape it off with the knife.  No mess.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic