icon

Sealed box for Dance, Metal, Hip-hop?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
intargc 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, this sort of relates to the other question I had about the stealth panel ( In another thread).
Again, I have a 2003 Audi A4 just for reference...
I originally told the guy that I listen to a lot of electronic/dance music like House and Trance. I told him I'm kind of all over the map with music because I like Metal and even Hip-Hop too. I listen to mainly Metal and Dance music though... They set me up with a sealed box, I noticed.
I have two 12W3v3's and when listening to them I just feel they're not as loud and boomy as I would have thought two 12's to be!
Well, now I'm reading the difference between sealed and ported boxes (I had no idea what the difference was 20 minutes ago) and I have read a few things that said that ported boxes were better for Hard Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop and Dance music.
Is this true? If so, why did they make a sealed box for me when I told them what type of music I listen to?
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
There are several factors involved and this is just my .02 cents. A ported box would have to be much bigger, so the install you wanted (stealth) would probably not have worked. Second, it doesnt really matter what type of music you listen to. Yes a ported box will be louder and typically more boomy at certain frequncies. A sealed box has a reputation of giving the sub the 'tight' bass resonce depending on how big the box is. Some subwoofers will sound better in sealed as opposed to ported boxes. If you want your set up louder and boomier, than yes a ported box would help, but dont expect the install shop to not charge you for another box since you did not ask specifically for a ported box.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, too, that it doesn't really matter what type of music you like (...it might matter if you specifically said Mozart or something...).  The sound is reinforced in the mixing stage.  Hip hop and Dance are going to boom the mid sub freqs on any crap system...you don't need to emphasize those regions.  You want a good front soundstage and well damped mid driver locations for Metal, for the 80 Hz region.  Anyway, the car's cabin gain will do some emphasizing on its own without you having to do anything but play the music.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
the 12w3's are a great woofer! What size box are they in now?
intargc 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not entirely sure... I haven't measured it. Usually I trust HiFi buys to make the boxes correctly. I was told once (from the other HiFi Buys) that they build every box according to the exact specs of what the speaker manufacturer says. However, the more I think about this box and the "stealth panel" that is sitting right up against the subs, the more I wonder.
Do speakers have a break-in period? Like, do they start to sound better after a few uses? Because either I'm getting used to them, or they're starting to sound a bit better.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

intargc wrote:
Do speakers have a break-in period? Like, do they start to sound better after a few uses? Because either I'm getting used to them, or they're starting to sound a bit better.

Yes they do.  Usually after about 20-30 hours usage most subwoofers sound fuller and can produce higher SPL.  IMO, assuming it is the correct size for the speakers, you are setup correctly with a sealed enclosure.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic