Sound Advise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lincoln2002lse 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

Need some help here.

Problem is, with money spent, sound right now is very disappointing. I want to do some serious justice to my Pink Floyd, SRV, Rush and other classic rock collections and this so far isn’t cutting it. The amp settings were done by one of the “installers” I have dealt with. It just doesn’t have the “WOW” type sound I am looking for. The bass is too centered in the back area and not enough in the front, especially at the lower volume levels there is almost no bass. The sub-box is ported after trying a sealed box and cals for Vb look right. And the kicker is even the volume is lacking,,,,,, HELP !!!! Thought the Focals were going to have a better low end, or do I have somthing else going on????    please read on if you have any advise to offer.

Description:

-Head unit Panasonic CQVD7003U,
-Focal polyglass165v2 (2 sets) mounted in the front and back doors, with the tweeters flush mounted in the windshield columns and the door columns,
-Focal CX/690 CV1 in the back deck,
All being pushed by a JL 300/4 amp.
-The trunk holds the (2) JL-10” 10w0’s pushed by a
-“Depth Charger” 2 channel (bridged) 400w amp.

Why am I not getting the sound????  I do not want the cheesy BOOM BOOM stuff.
Now:
I have a JL-450/4 amp on the way, seriously considering adding the JL-1000/1 ditching the Depth Charger and am thinking of the Alpine PXA-H701 for boosting the signal into the amps as well as the EQ setting capability.

All this is in a 2002 Black Lincoln LSE with ground effects, sitting on 18” Polo Spy’s. Paint is in good condition and when the audio is DONE will have a Pink Floyd graphics paint job done.

If I get the amps (450/4 is a done deal) and the H701 is this going to make me smile or is there something else I am missing???????

studum 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

The only solid advice that I can provide is that if you end up with a 1000/1 I hope you are going to upgrade the subs too. I don't think the W0s will last too long on a 100/1.

The tweeters could be too far aways from the woofers to create a good soundstage.

I'd say thing more than likely things just need to be played with a bit until you get it to sound as good as possible to your ears. Seldomly (if ever) can something be hooked up and sound as good as possible right out of the box.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
well first off.... great choice with the focals. The tweeters were designed to be on axis so if you dont have them pointed at you they probably arent sounding like they should. Your head unit could be making a big difference as well. I dont know much about your specific model but i do know that panasonic isnt considered a high end deck. I would recommend eclipse with alping coming in second. Eclipse decks come with 8V preouts which help considerably. Also they are well known for their SQ. Your third potential problem could be your subs. the W0 line of JL is the bottom of their barrel. You might want to step it up a notch and get something better. The focals do have better low end but usually only if you have complete comtrol over them. My eclipse deck has a built in 3-way crossover. I am able to get some pretty nice mid range from my focals. You might also want to ditch all the rear speakers and move them all to the front.  
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
lincoln2002lse 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
ohhhh   yes,, if you check my profile you will see home page,,  the car there is the one I am modeling mine from. So yes if I go with the 1000/1 I know the w0 would be destroyed   pronto 
lincoln2002lse 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Just got word, the 450/4 is due in today. So now,, I have the JL 300/4, and the 450/4, AND the Depth Charger ????? 3 pairs of Focals and the 2 JL subs,,, hummm,, any inputs on how best to use the amps???? Really want clean, and clear, really want to go deaf jammin too, dun care ,, gettin old and love Floyd
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
IMO your weak link is your head unit.  Panasonic is decent quality and fine for most everyday use, but if you want real SQ you need to upgrade it.  Eclipse, Nakamichi, McIntosh are the first tier commercial choices.
Support the12volt.com
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

just to add a little bit to what everyone else is saying. Focal reccomends 100hrs of break in time from what the rep said at a meeting a couple of months ago....so just like wine, gets better with age. And yea change those subs out...what i dont understand is why the 300/4 and 450/4? Why not a 300/4 and maybe a 500/1 for 2 10/12w3v3d4? You could put the 450/4s first two channels on the fronts and give them 75watts rms and then use the 300/4 on your rears and they could get 75watts rms instead of sharing 75watts. And then get another amp for your subs....not sure why you got those 2 amps but....thats what i would do if you were stuck with them....good luck!

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
lincoln2002lse 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys thanks for the replies on this.

Not hearing anything about the Alpine PXA-H701 does any one know anything about this unit? I agree the panasonic is the weak audio link with only 2v going into the amp. There is also the DQS under serious consideration for signal boost and EQ. 

I ended up with the 450 because i got a really good price on it, And with the additional speakers I want to put in the system, I figured it would be a good idea to have "expandbility" for the center speaker (want to change out the speakers on the hump in the front where the original 2 inch speakers are mounted), mid subs in the front kick panels, thinking of dynaudios , but yea they are pricey. I heard a home set of the dyns years ago when I got my 4 Def Tech 3000BP's and the only thing that held me off of them was the price vs size,, lol. Might also pull the 165v2 out of the front and replace them with the 165k2's, then I won't sweat the 150watts rms to the front set.      Any thoughts???????

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
I sell panasonic and yes you definetly need a new head unit they are pretty poor sound quality. I carry them because dealers like them cheap and 2 year delaer installed warranty. Change that head unit and I guarantee you'll be very happy. My .02.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
I would also remove the Panasonic and slide in a Eclipse AVN7000 or AVX5000 like right now. Add a Audio Control 6XS into the mix while you are at it. This provides a great line driver and a easy to use subwoofer level control so that you do not need to go looking through menu's in the cd player to find it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic