icon

1997 Honda Civic OEM Alarm Harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kaipo777 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

I just recently installed an alarm and radio into a '97 civic and discovered the green OEM alarm harness connected into the radio. 

I realized that the dome light didn't work when this harness was unplugged rendering my door triggers useless. I tested for the dome light wires and reconnected them.  This did leave me with a few questions though:

1. Is possible to keep the OEM alarm working if the radio is replaced? Is there an adapter or something?

2. Is there a wiring diagram for that harness, or, does anyone else know what the other wires are for? (I found one for the horn)

2.a. And, are there any other wires that need to be reconnected other than the dome light for alarm/audio installs?

Thanks ahead of time for shining the light. :)

Kaipo Smurf

kaipo777 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
crap ... i posted my first post in the wrong forum.  Not only that, but my question sort of involves both car audio and security, but, i guess it's more of an audio question.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, I can help you a little, mainly from memory (its been awhile)

1) Yes Metra makes a wiring harness that allows you to put in a new deck and maintain the factory alarm.  the harmess splits and allows the new  radio andaold radio w/OEM alarm to work together to maintain the OEM alarm functions.  The factory deck relocates to behind the panel thats below the factory radio(its the panelwith the "power outlet"  mounted in it).  The downside of the OEM alarm is that it can ONLY be armed/disarmed with the factory remotes. 

2)Off the top of my head, these are the wires that are located in that harness -  Constant +12(7.5amps), Accessory, ground, door trigger (in/out), trunk trigger, horn, Door locks (lock/Unlock).  You have to check them with DMM I don't remember any colors. Maybe Parikng lights are there also.

Almost your whole aftermarket alarm can be done from there, except Ignition kill and if needed Parking lights.  Parking lights are either above the fuse box in a gray plug RED / black or a spade connector immediatly above the toppart of the fuse box.  If i remember its the second spade in from the RIGHT side.  Use a DMM to verify. I usually mount the alarm under the radio behind the panel with the power outlet, and pull that green connector down into the area and make all my connections.  I also place my valet switch in the back of the glovebox for added security.

2a) The only thing you need to do to the OEM alarm plug is when adding a aftermarket radio  to jump the door trigger in/out wires.  Otherwise your domelight won't work.  Which you found out.  Unfortunatly I can't remember the wire colors for sure but I think GREEN/ black and GREEN/ red.  Use a DMM to verify the wiring.

Good Luck,

Frank

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic