custom body kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jt73 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2006 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  

for cool paint go to http://www.madmandesigns.com

thanks for the advice torquehead...ya know i thought i did a search, but possibly not.... i hate it when people ask silly questions too   custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image.

torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2006 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx much for the cool paint link!! 

Hey easy now, its by far NOT a silly question.  I did a search for "bodykits"....here you go --  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/search.asp?SI=PT&KW=bodykits&SM=1

When you click on "Search", the screen refreshes, then youll see a search box for "Google"(dont use), and the next one is for this site, which is the one to use for the searches I refered you to.  So, check it out!!!! 

Also, for you that think that the afore mentioned site of the BMW....is the only way to build body kits, its not.  Dont let it scare you!!!!  Theres several other ways, but again, at least perform a search on a subject you desire to get a more direct question.  Its easier for some of the more experienced to answer questions when you are up to speed on knowledge.  Maybe you could use a previous link in reference for a certain understanding.

So, when you gonna start?

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2006 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Since you are doing a total stripping of the car. Have not tried myself but will in the next few months eDead v3. Liquid based sound dampening material. Just a thought.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
torquehead wrote:

Hey easy now, its by far NOT a silly question.  I did a search for "bodykits"....here you go --  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/search.asp?SI=PT&KW=bodykits&SM=1

When you click on "Search", the screen refreshes, then youll see a search box for "Google"(dont use), and the next one is for this site, which is the one to use for the searches I refered you to.  So, check it out!!!! 

Also, for you that think that the afore mentioned site of the BMW....is the only way to build body kits, its not.  Dont let it scare you!!!!  Theres several other ways, but again, at least perform a search on a subject you desire to get a more direct question.  Its easier for some of the more experienced to answer questions when you are up to speed on knowledge.  Maybe you could use a previous link in reference for a certain understanding.

thanks torquehead...actually i have found some very nice informative sites that have been a great help in addition the suggestions here

actually the "deeper" question(lol) that i'm having trouble graspingis how to keep the sides of the body symetrical or identical...i can make a positive or negative mold to duplicate the piece, but not to make it for the opposite side...like the side skirts for example...in my case i want a wide body kit

as far as when im going to start-soon is all i can tell ya...its gettin gullwing door conversion next week so probably after that is done

silverfocuszx3 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
jt73 wrote:
torquehead wrote:

thanks torquehead...actually i have found some very nice informative sites that have been a great help in addition the suggestions here

actually the "deeper" question(lol) that i'm having trouble graspingis how to keep the sides of the body symetrical or identical...i can make a positive or negative mold to duplicate the piece, but not to make it for the opposite side...like the side skirts for example...in my case i want a wide body kit

as far as when im going to start-soon is all i can tell ya...its gettin gullwing door conversion next week so probably after that is done

I hope you dont mind me asking but could you possibly post up some links to the sites you found informative for stuff like this? I have been wanting to try something like this for myself also but can't seem to find any good info online.

Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
jt73 wrote:
Well the mirroring in pretty easy to do if you use patience and math.
TOP VIEW
custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image.
"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?" ....You might say
I said the same thing when I drew it [MS Paint]. I would not build what is in the drawing if I were you, lol. They are just a example. I drew that little illustration (TOP VIEW) to demonstrate the technique. What I am suggesting is, that you setup a template. Say your template looks like the piece on the left in the photo. In this example we will use wooden dowels. You place the dowels wherever you would like them to be but mark each exact location you put them with a pen/ruler and exact "coordinates" as to where it is on your template.
Once you have everything setup, lay your fabric over the top points of your dowels(apply using glue gun/sticks). You will now have the shape of your piece.
The easy part now? Remove the fabric pending your like how it looks. Look at your piece you just constructed, a skeleton basically. Transfer all those "coordinates" over to a symmetrical shaped template and place dowels on the exact locations.
What this will allow is symmetry (and harmonycustom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image. since you will not be stressed) and you can stretch your fabric over both pieces and they will look exactly the same pending your lay your body filler evenly on both when that stage/step comes along.
You may say... "gosh darnit little joe, I sure don't feel like using those silly little wooden dowels"
The alternative...? Use whatyou wish to so long as the pieces are the same exact size, you have a good quantity of them, and you are able to measure them so the locations match up on each template.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
hmmmmmcustom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
or if your doing str8 forward skirts...you could just build a wooden jig to use as a sanding block...
if it is curvy then you use the above method or you could just mold off the side of the car...then with MDF you could build a skeletal framework much like the (facial reconstruction) method above...but instead of dowels sticking out you could just have what would look like ribs sticking out...glue on the fabric and glass away...or instead of glueing down a fabric you could spray in foam inbetween the ribs and shape and sand it until you get to the ribs...then body fill it and once it is all smooth, you can either break it free from the car to apply the glass or you could just glass it right on the car...
Fiberglass Guru.
jt73 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  
i appreciate all the replys and encouragement....this will be my most challenging project to date i believe...the whole point is showcase my work and have everything as custom as possible over the top so hopefully it will all turn out like my vision...
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
crazyoldcougar wrote:
you could just mold off the side of the car...then with MDF you could build a skeletal framework much like the (facial reconstruction) method
Never thought of like that, lol. You make me sound like a forensic detective fabricator hahahah.custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image.
JT, here are a few things to assist you when you run into difficulty ...
If It Ain’t Broken... Fix It ‘Til It Is
If you are feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.
Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings"
Pain is inevitable misery is optional.
custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image. custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image. custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image. custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image. custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image. custom body kit - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic