icon

Inverse mounting drivers with raised lip

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Looking for some advice here on inverse mounting a pair of Oz Me12's. The drivers come with a thick rubber cover that goes around the lip. The lip itself has a raised outer edge that is ~1/8" wide and tall.
I'm going to ditch the rubber cover and mount straight to the wood. What would be the best way to cut that 1/8" notch so that there is a perfect fit, and is that the best option?
Inverse mounting drivers with raised lip -- posted image.
Inverse mounting drivers with raised lip -- posted image.
oscarnl86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
i would sugest just leave the rubber cover to me it seals preaty good and if your concern is the woofer not sealing properly i would sugest making a gasket out of gasket material ( you can buy it at your local parts store) and just moynt them with that gasket. well thats my opinion maybe has a better opinion.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
You always come up with good questions.  I think I would use two layers of speaker sealing tape around the recessed area of the lip.  When the driver is mounted, it will compress the gasket tape and you can torque it down until the raised edge sets flush against the surface.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
You always come up with good questions. I think I would use two layers of speaker sealing tape around the recessed area of the lip. When the driver is mounted, it will compress the tape and the raised edge will set flush against the surface.
Thanks! I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from all the great minds on here.
I actually considered the gasket tape since I have a 50ft roll laying around, but I wasn't sure if that would be the "proper" way to go about this. Sounds like a winner though, and I won't have to mess with cutting that notch.
cutlass013 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

i use a dense foam strip you could put two layers of the foam like strips and it should seal i get it at a lowes around here

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic