icon

L7 15 ported box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
05_zx636 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
i have all my stuff now, and was going to get boxes built. but now seems like good time to learn a bit about ported boxes so im going to build. i have built several sealed boxes, just not porte. i have couple questions as far as the ports. im building 2 seperate boxes for 2 L7 15" D2's that will be in a wall in honda civic coupe. the dimensions of each box will be 20" wide x 30" tall x 24" D. the book with subs calls for 3.5 x 16.25 port 13.75" long or should i go with different port size?  what will the tuning be on this and do those dimensions seem like enough air space? they call for 6 cubes and that includes sub displacement but need to add port displacement and im not sure about that. each sub will be wired to 1 ohm with about 1300 watts. thanks for any help
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  

Port displacement is everything you build into the box that comprises the port structure, including port airspace and additional walls.  A slotted port like the one you described here is given as W X H X L.  Width X height is the opening size of the slot, showing the amount of airspace opening of the port.  Length is how deep it extends into the box.

They have included the displacement of the sub, assuming it is mounted on a 3/4" front baffle.  If you build the front baffle in two layers or it is thicker MDF, the displacement will be less.  Additional displacements that you have to account for yourself include the port structure and all bracing you build into the box.  Except for round or cone-shaped displacements, all volumes can be calculated as W X H X L, giving you cubic inches.  There are 1728 cu in one cubic foot.

Slotted ports are usually built so that one wall of the port shares duty as a side wall of the box.  The port structure usually extends from the box top to bottom, so those port/box walls at the ends of the port are shared walls too.  That leaves one additional wall that you must add to separate the port from the box airspace.  When using 3/4" MDF for construction, add this 3/4" to the slotted port width to arrive at cubic displacement.

The info you detailed gives a slotted port opening of 3.5" X 16.25".  Calculate this opening area as square inches.  This is 57 sq inches of opening.  To find the same opening size on your box design, decide how you want to to situate the port.  If it will extend from top to bottom, along one side of the box, use the measurements of your design to find one length (or leg) of the port.  Divide into 57 to find the proper width of the other leg.  If your box airspace is 28.5" tall, divide 57 / 28.5 = 2.  Your equivalent port opening is 2" X 28.5" and still remains 13.75" deep into the box.

Port tuning is found by using the comparison of port volume to box volume.  Various calculators will give you this, but first get the port construction and displacements detailed on paper.  Draw your box construction with all measurements detailed.  Every piece of material you incorporate for bracing will have volume measureable in W X H X L, so add up all these cubic inches.  Your box interior volume has to be big enough to give you the volume shown in the manual, with all displacements included, in order to use the port size as given.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

Here is a calculator you can work with:  http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

If your net enclosure space is 6 cu ft, the port size you described would make the tuning frequency 34.25 Hz.  (With this calculator and the info that you know, try different tuning freqs until you arrive at the port length given.)

The port itself is a structure that takes up displacement, as I said above.  Find the displacement by calculating cubic inches and converting to cubic feet.  The only walls you have to consider for this are walls built for the port, not shared walls.  The dimensions you gave show a total volume, using 3/4" outside walls, of 6.8 cubic feet.  https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp gives you a volume calculator.  I prefer to use this calculator using only interior dimensions and then inputting '0' in the wall thickness box.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
another option......I know there is more then 16 cu ft total in the trunk of a civic coupe.     Build a box frame in the trunk and fire it into the cab with seat opening for the subs and port.
I know there is 6 cu ft of usable space under the rear window deck alone if you build the box inside the trunk.
We currently have a 98 civic coupe so I know some of the demensions off hand
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
why in the heck are you going to put 2 15" L7's in a trunk of a civic in a ported box!? That is over kill, and you will never get rid of rattles.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
his intentions were to build a wall.   My suggestiosn were to build a cab firing enclosure and have the trunk sealed off.....
Please read the topic before making snide remarks
I am not a fan of the 15" kickers but I still love all my kicker product and will stand behind it till I have been proven it is not a winning product
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
05_zx636 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for all replies. i downloaded winisd last night and have messed with it little bit. its hard to working til 2a.m., but i will figure it out. yeah, i know there is alot of space in trunk, i just sold 2 rockford power T2 12's because i really didnt like the way they sounded. so now i have all my seat out, i have both my subs and both amps for subs. i just have to go ahead and start building. i was just checking some final things about ports first. the ports will be across bottom of each box under subs. i checked those links and they will be pretty helpful. thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic