icon

First project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pyroticmaverick 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so i have been worken on my first fiberglass project, i must say it was goen good untill my amp didn't fit in where it was supose to go, but i messed around and got where i am at, i am jsut haven propleams getting all the bumps, dips, and valleys gone with the bondo, does anyone have any pointer or any type of suggestions anything. thanks

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/BurningMaverick/P1010017.jpg

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
sand sand sand sand sand..........First project -- posted image.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
maybe another "skim coat" of bondo too?
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

get a glazing putty.  Bondo brand makes two different kinds, professional and i guess regular.  The difference is like a buck or two, so i just always get the professional.  Anyway it will make it alot easier to fix that small holes.  Also a high build primer will help too.  It will fill in the small dips and pin holes.  Walmart carries what they consider to be high build primer in the automotive section.  It doesn't work as good as a professional stuff, but it will make a difference. 

Also what are you using to spread your bondo?  What will help alot is to buy some flexible putty knives for body work.  They conform better to the curves of the box and help get the bondo where its needed most. 

pyroticmaverick 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thanks when i get payed tomarrow i will go look for some of that stuff, i am usen a mixture of resin and bondo , i don't remember the parts i use but i can just slap it on with brushes so, but i will try the other stuff though, and thanks
KarTuneMan 
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
you don't want to use a brush, use a hard card to "float" the material over the holes.
sawhit4 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Did you go straight from fiberglass to bondo/resin mix?  I would do fiberglass, then a layer of straight bondo, to fill the big dips, then bondo/resin mix, then when that drys i fill the pin holes and dips with finishing putty. 

cutlass013 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
try just using bondo the resin mixture will make it harder to sand down due the resin the regular bondo wil sand and come out  smoother and on dips use the spot putty it works wonders
cutlass013 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

by the way i like the enclosure and the design nice work

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Kartune beat me to it "sand sand... sand"
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic