icon

First project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
philliphamby 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
i am kinda new to this type of work but i like the bondo/resin mix. (5 to 1 rate) it is true that you will have to sand a lil more but you have a better and smoother finish to start with if applied right. bondo wipers are a must.  you can get them in all sizes at any auto store.( autozone advance and so on) and thay can be cut to any size for smaller jobs. it is easier to me to brush it on then use the wipers to smooth it out somwhat. make sure to smooth it before it starts to set. also if you have large build up of bondo that needs to be took down try sanding it with say a 50 grit paper before it completly drys. 3/4 dry works best. it will gum up pritty quick so over the paper type i prefure the wire type like used on drywall. this way when it gums up you can just blow it off with compressed air. like i say i am still kinda new to this kinda work but i hope this can help you out.
give a man a fish he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish he will eat for a lifetime.
cafociguy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
The best investment I ever made a Portercable orbital buffer/sander, put the sanding heads on I used 220 I believe, wait until the bondo is completely dry, maybe a couple days, then the sander will cut through everything super fast and won't gum up, I tried to sand my enclosure a few times and my arm just about fell off.  I got really frustrated and almost gave up on my enclosure because I couldn't get it smooth, I love my buffer, just have to watch out because it will cut down too far if your not careful and take out your layers of fiber glass.  Just my 2 cents.  Have fun sanding
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic