icon

Recommendation Needed for System Set-Up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
conseit68 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

First and foremost, I appreciate and thank everyone on this site for taking the time to read my question that most, I am sure, would find simple. I have a 98 Expedition currently with the so-called "Premium" system installed. Bottom line is that I hate the system and want better. The vehicle is a daily driver with roughly 200-350 mile put on each day. I was in pursuit of a system that leaned more towards SQ but still have some bump and with the ability to upgrade to a 10.5" flipdown for the kids in the future. As for music tastes, I enjoy primarily classic rock and alternative, but have been known to listen to everything from new R & B back to 30's Blues/Jazz. About 10 years ago I worked for the CC, so I am confident in the installation process, but figure the products have changed largely in that time. After much research, I believe that the below listed is the system that I will be pleased with. My only pet-peave is that short of the headunit, I prefer the woofers, speakers, amps come from the same manufacturer. Please review and give your opinions and/or suggestions.

Headunit - Alpine DVA-9860 (CD/MP3/DVD Player for the expandability later)

Front Component - Kicker 05KS52 (5 1/4" Comp., 6-65W RMS)

Rear Fill - Kicker 055KS68 (6"x8" Co-Axial, 5-60W RMS)

4ch Amp - Kicker KX350.4 (60RMS x4 @ 4ohms Class A/B)

Monoblock - Kicker KX400.1 (400RMS x1 @ 2ohms Class D)

Subwoofer - (2) Kicker 05CVR122 (Dual 2ohm VC w/ 50-400RMS Operating Range)

The installation would consist of speakers and headunit going in stock locations while both amps go behind the pass. rear wall where the factory sub and amp currently reside. Keep in mind that I would like to save the 3rd row seating and am shooting for a vented enclosure for a touch higher SPL, the dimensions I have to work with are 53"W by 17"H by 13"D. Now for some questions...

With the monoblock chosen, along with the space and financial restrictions, should I stay with what I have above and how do you feel it will sound?

Should I go with (2) 10's instead?

Should I go with (1) 12" CVR and the KX750.1?

Should (1) L5 and the KX400.1?

Thanks again for taking a peek and assisting a novice like me.

austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
what subs do you currently have?  If space is a big consideration, I would go with a single 12" CVR in a sealed box.  If not, I would do two 10's in a vented.  This is a pretty basic setup, if you've installed any car audio before, it can't be too much different.  Especially in a ford.  The rest of your setup sounds good, but I would go with 6" in the rear instead of 6x8's.  Done right it will make your rear fill a lot more solid.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

Here is my take on things. Expand to a overhead all in one dvd/lcd system. The dvd is mounted in the roof mount chassis of the lcd. Look to a cd player that has a AUX input to take the audio output of the dvd and broadcast through the system. At the same time, if Jr. wants to listen to his Barney dvd, he can then listen to it on wireless headphones and you can continue to listen to your tunes. You cannot accomplish this with the indash dvd/cd headunit. Looking at what you have listed for equipment, we can slim it down some and save some $ on install, wiring and space at the same time. I am a big fan of 5 channel amplifiers. With the power you have listed above, coupled with your expectations of the system, the 5 channel is the perfect solution for you and you are the perfect customer for the 5 channel.

Here is how I would comprise the system. I would recommend Eclipse in a heartbeat for tonal response first and foremost.

Headunit - Eclipse CD4000

Front Component - Eclipse SC8264 (this is a stunning speaker package)

- a mounting template adaptor made of 1/4" black abs will be necessary but will definitely fit.

Rear speakers - Eclipse SE8375

- rear speakers are fill only, keep them simple.

Subwoofer - Eclipse SW7200

- build a 1.25 cu.ft sealed box and you are done. This will be more than enough sub bass for you.

Amplifier - Eclipse XA5000

- 50w x 4 + 450w x 1 makes one amazing platform for sound.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

hmmm.....Kicker / Eclipse......Kicker / Eclipse......Kicker / Eclipse.......

Rob knows his stuff.  You want one manufacturer, his suggestion is the one to go with.  And dude, you are far from being a novice.  Let the forum know how your installation turns out...250 miles a day is a lot of playing time!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
conseit68 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

austincustoms, thanks for the reply...I currently have "0" parts of the system. I figured I would work out the kinks and compare and obsess and compare again before making any purchases. As far as a sealed enclosure goes, that might work, only thing that keeps plucking at my brain is that I would like to build a custom enclosure of some sort to fill those entire dimensions and cover with a tan leather/vinyl to keep the factory look. Back in the days of install, I did get rather bored of throwing a box in the back of a cargo space a calling it a day (I would like more of a personal touch than that).

forbidden, thanks also for the reply and extensive post...well i dove into the research on eclipse comparing quality and pricing, and while I will say they have stunning equipment, it is currently a touch out of my range (unless a kind soul out there has a hell of a discount). I also noticed that none of the in-dash units have changer controls (I would assume its because they do not make changers...bear with my stupidity) and that may be something I would want in the future with the dirving that I have daily. I will takeeveryon back to my "install days" for a moment to give a better visual of what I am shooting for, but in a much more clean and organized manner (I think I am tring to re-live my youth but what the hell...right?) The last car that I put together for myself was a 98 Grand Am GT about 7 years ago so keep that in mind as far as how equipment was back then, the system consisted Polk DB 6 1/2" components upfront, Polk DB 6x9" in the rear, a MTX Blue Thunder Pro754 powering those, (2) Polk DB 12"s in seperate 1cu.ft. sealed enclosures tossed on the back with (1) MTX Pro3002 powering those, the headunit was the single din alpine that came out at the same time as the CVA-1000. Please remember that this was a toss together with wire tossed about in a night. So, I figure this time around, I would make a clean and simple install and if I had the urge, attempt a few local shows, impress some of the younger souls and have it last. Main troubles with that are: vehicle is much larger now, need all of the room short of the dimensions stated above, it will continue  to be a daily driver, and I can't break the bank without a messy divorce from the wife...lol...j/k. I thought about small sponsorships to save on costs and show off a product or even thought about wrapping my whole truck in an advertisement for 6 months to a year as a barder system, but don't even know where to start leads on that.  Would there be any other avenues as far as equipment that you would reccommend or your reccommended system that wouldn't be such an impact to the wallet and happy home life? Thanks again for all of your assistance here.

Stevdart - Thanks for the reply and compliment...Rob is very smart and with everyones continued support, I am sure a decision could be reached...I hope. And, indeed, I plan to post the status of my little system as I go.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

Ok then, lets slim down the package and make it expandable. The Eclipse line of cd players all have changer control (save for the entry level CD100 which is not for you). The CD3000 is the first model in the lineup that will allow you the AUX input with a optional adaptor. Add the adaptor down the road when you are ready for the overhead dvd unit. The only other differences in the two units are illumination color and remote control, so no big deal (and remote can be added at Christmas).

Next drop the idea of front components for now. Use the factory rear speaker for the time being and use the 5x7" coax in the front for the time. Next upgrade for you will be the front components and move the coax speaker to the rear. Another option to consider here is the SP5700 pointsource speaker. No adaptor plate necessary and bolt in component performance. While a 5x7" may not be the "ideal" tonal response speaker, most people on this forum would be pressed to know it was a 5x7" and not  a 6.5" speaker. Either option above is going to shave some serious $ off the bill. Both are great options that will allow you to expand the system without throwing away your investment. So basic coax up front and factory rear, then down the road you move the coax to the rear and a new pointsource or component up front.

Now for the amp, do not drop this amp, keep it and enjoy it. Someone on here is a US dealer or knows one that can get you set up.

For the subs, you can also go to a pair of the entry level SW4000 10" or SW4200 12" subs and get good results as well. Should you want to take up the space, great, that will help out. Personally, I would do a single 12" aluminum and call it a day. The other side of the box can be for the amp rack, a extra box for jumper cables, flashlight etc.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
conseit68 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

ok...after much internal debate. I am going to attempt to follow in your original direction but just at a slower pace than expected. I have a few items that I wanted to sell on the posts (home theater system) to help comp the costs but nedd a 50 post apparently so that might be a challenge. Only other questions I have now are does anyone know where I can find the T/S Para. for the 7200 and can anyone that works at a CC help me out with that amazing discount that I discovered today if I were to compensate them. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic