icon

Labor Price for remote start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
USMC Vet 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thinking about installing some RSs in my spare time.What would be a reasonable amount to charge someone,just the basic RS,no passlock,VATS,transponder? Just the labor price.Anyone have any good input,it would be appreciated.Thanks!     I live in central Illinois if that makes any difference.
supersix4 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Basic install is usually about $50.00/75.00 in the NY Metro Area. Another $30 or so for transponder install ... $50 for keyless w/ relays ... $20/30 for parking lights ... $20/30 for trunk pop.
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Since you are not a store, you cannot give warranty. So i suppose $50-70 is fair if you can give them a clean install. But if its a crappy T-Tap install and nothing is taped black with wires running everywhere i say $30 is fair.
supersix4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

Why would you need to totally tape a RS harness? It's not an alarm system, man, just a RS. Why waste the tape trying to make it look "factory"? Zip Ties are your friend!! I use tape to harness the thing up on the workbench ... I just don't tape the whole thing up, like a big black Spider ... eeeewwww!!!!

I also don't get this bias against T-taps. I certainly agree that solder & tape is best. Buuuuuttt - if used & installed correctly, T-taps have their place. Ya know, 3M sells Zillions of 'em, man, LOL! I've used 'em for YEARS - never have a problem with 'em. They NEVER pop off  ... 'cuz I install 'em right. I NEVER use them out under the hood or anyplace they might be exposed to weather or temperature extremes - that's just clazy, mang! But inside the passenger compartment - never have a problem with 'em at all ... mebbe I'm just crazy lucky??!! HAHAHA!!!

dea,can 
Copper - Posts: 284
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  

basic install with unit base model 130.00.

then prices add up it depends on the customer what are they looking for  range fancy keyfobs etc.

dragon
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
I always try to make $100 for an Install-more if it is a difficult car to do,It also depends on how much the bypass module costs.I try to keep the price for my units installed for $250.00 Thats 2 remotes,keyless,trunk,remote start.I am also in Illinois,just south of Chicago.
dea,can 
Copper - Posts: 284
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
35 bypass units 25 to install
dragon
supersix4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
first off, t-taps suck! period. if you are gonna take the time to do an install and you're not pressed for time, why cut corners and use t-craps.

No they don't, mang ... c'mon ... we all know you've used 'em ... LOL!! And who's NOT pressed for time?? If you're not ... well ...

nouseforaname wrote:
and how is there a "right way" to install them? you just crimp them down, not rocket surgery.

I've seen guys do some C-R-A-Z-Y things w/ T-taps, man! YIKES! Like ... snap 'em on SIDEWAYS!! ... and the phrase is "it's not Rocket Science ... Rocket Science ...

nouseforaname wrote:
the point of soldering a connection is to ensure a long lasting, solid install thats not gonna come loose over time.

I know, man ... and MY T-taps never come loose ... I use 'em right.

nouseforaname wrote:
as for the taping, i black tape EVERYTHING.

EEEWWWWW!!!! LOL!!

nouseforaname wrote:
theres is nothing more tacky than looking under a knee bolster and seeing a rainbow of different colored wires running everwhere. sure just zip tying them works, but its a certine level of professionalism in wrapping everything in black tape THEN zip tying everything up nice and neat.

Next RS I do, I'll take some pics to show ya how I do it, man. Super-clean & minimum tape & zip ties. No crazy "rainbow spiders" goin' outta my shop!! HAHAHA!! I hate that too, man.

nouseforaname wrote:
i can see your point though, in case for some reason a wire gets loose from the zip tie and hangs down in front of the brake pedal and someones foot hangs on it and jerks a bunch of your t-taps loose, then theres no need to unwrap the tape to fix everythingLabor Price for remote start? -- posted image..

Yikes! That's never happened to me ... SCARY! That guy outta stay away from workin' on cars!!

captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
I suppose its whatever the customer wants. Since im known for a clean install without T-Tap and everything taped black, thats what the customer gets. Thats why they come to me, but if your customer doesnt care- go crazy with T tap then.
Fair right?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

no use for a name.....settle down now....he got your goat, you just have a different opinion, thats all. t-taps are good for low current only. Parking light flash (pos,or neg) simple neg trigger locks etc. If someone wants or needs to use them on a main harness for a R/S....thats not so good. (my opinion) I use them on occasion.

You got your way of doin a job, he has his.....and I have mine. If we get the job done, and it DON'T come back or burn the car to the ground, mission accomplishedLabor Price for remote start? -- posted image.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic