icon

Lights that get brighter to music

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boettius 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have a stereo in my car. I want to hook up lights to my stereo so when it gets louder the lights get brighter. I know this can be done because i did it years ago, however I don't know what lights to use or if i just hooked it directly up to the speaker wire. Could somebody tell me what kind of lights to use, and how to hook them up please?
cutlass013 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
i dont know how to make one but the autozone around here has em for sell just if you wanted to buy one.
boettius 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
Do you know what they are called or what i should look for? I went to an autozone yesterday with no luck.
cutlass013 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
no im sure what they are called the one i had what looked like a metal wire running through it detecting vibration and got brighter as music got louder.. i also had one light on an polaris scrambler 4-wheeler mounted and when you gased it it would get brighter but sa far as the name im not sure you could check ebay
compudude86 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
lol, i only know how to make the lights get dimmer as the music gets louder
keep_hope_alive 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
i did this in a port tube once using LED's, some rectifier diodes, a zener diode, and a couple resistors. the fed from the amp output voltage and had no effect since their resistance was quite high compared to the speaker. the circuit i built works and works well! i have a pic of the port tube illuminated,
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337617_68.jpg
that circuit still works today after three years!
just recitfy the audio signal put a 9V zener diode in parallel with one or two LED's and a drop resistor (calculated at 9V) then put a larger resistor in series with all that to account for the high voltage levels available at your amplifer output. that larger resistor value may be between 100 and 200 ohms depending on the amp and desired brightness. you can parallel additional LED and drop resistor pairs, but realize that you will begin to take away from the sub. now if you have some small cheap amp you may be able to dedicate it to running your car led's.
Now, if instead you want an circuit that can feed entire car lighting then i would run it off the low level signals in your audio system (possibly some low level outputs on your amp) an design a circuit where you use a transistor as an amplifier of sorts (maybe a common-emitter configuration?). i have been meaning to design this type of circuit for some time but have just been too busy.
if anyone has already designed such a circuit let me know how it worked out for you. i have a pretty good idea in my head how to make it happen. it all depends on how much current you need to feed the number of LED arrays.
Electrons behave like waves on monday, wednesday, and friday, like particles on tuesday, thursday, and saturday, and like nothing at all on sunday.
boettius 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
This is exactly what I was looking for thank you for the post. I will take pics when im done.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic