icon

02 Q45, bypass model

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
foler2521 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, Im looking to install a viper 791 in my 2002 Infiniti Q45.  My car does not use a key to start but a microchip. I know I have to get a bypass model for the doorlocks/remote start (one or the other, I forget) but I Was wondering if I need to keep my key in the bypass model or is there any way around that. Reason being I only have two keys and the keys are about $500 a peice 02 Q45, bypass model -- posted image.. So any information on the needed bypass model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2006 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
the only module i have listed for that car i a  (DEI) 556uw unervisal put you key in the box and stash it in the dash sry02 Q45, bypass model -- posted image.
bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
I've done a handful of those cars. (I do a lot of work for the local Infiniti dealer.)
They're not easy......this would probably not be a good car for a beginner to work on. Ignition wires are tight, the car has two starter wires, locks are inside the driver's door, tach under the passenger dash.....they take a while.
Anyway, there are two ways to deal with the transponder key.
First, in either case, you would start with an ordinary, key-in-the-box type bypass module, such as the DEI 556U, Audiovox AS-TCBM, bypasskit.com TBKIII, or similar.
Method 1: Disassemble one of your keys. In the plastic housing of the key, you can easily see the chip. Pry it out with a tiny thin screwdriver or knife.
Lay the chip into the module in a spot that looks good, and TRY the remote start......if it works, affix the chip in place in the bypass box with a dab of super glue, and maybe jam a little bit of foam in there or something for extra assurance that it can't slide around.
Method 2: Your car will also accept an ordinary metal-blade Infiniti (and likely Nissan) key, although probably the dealer won't know that.
Basically, as long as the chip is correct, you could turn that ignition switch with a screwdriver or popsicle stick if you felt like it........it is ONLY the chip that is important. So, even a USED or MISCUT Infiniti key of the proper type will work.
However, Infiniti has used several different chips over the years for different cars, and you need to have the correct type of key, and I couldn't tell you which one that is.
If you can find a tech at an Infiniti dealer who's cool, and likes to try things, this would be the best way to do it, as you'd save a lot of money.
Of course, you'd still have to pay for the regular key, plus labor for programming, and maybe a small tip if the tech succeeds in figuring it out.
IMPORTANT TIP: They don't tell you this in the wiring-color diagrams, but after the car is remote started, you will NOT be able to simply insert your key, turn it on to unlock the steering and shifter, and drive away.
The car has to first be turned off, and only then you can re-start it with your key and drive off. It's not too big of a deal, just different.
You have two choices......
1. Hit brake, which kills engine; wait a couple seconds, restart, and drive off.
2. (What I do) connect the driver's door pinswitch like it's a hoodpin.....when you open your door, the engine automatically shuts off......get in, restart, and drive off.
P.S. If you happen to be anywhere near the Boston/Massachusetts area and you need a hand with the keys, let me know.
mcrewsq 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

installed in 02Q45 sport.

Chris,

thanks for the great advise on the 02 Q45 install.  I printed your comments for the installer I found on this site.  He did my Parrot and Remote

Finally have the Parrot Bluetooth Car Kit iCK3100 installed yesterday. I had tried to order a custom harness but there's not one out there. There is for the older Qs.(Howard at Quickconnectharness really tried to help out w/ the 02 but no luck) The phone comes over the the center speaker as opposed to the whole system. I have a treo 650 and so far it works very well. the mic is mounted up next to the car mic. The parrot control panel mounts nicely in the ashtray.  THe Parrot system is very nice. and complete from a user point of view

Also had a Bulldog Security remote starter installed. (purchased at local discounter) (this is NOT a DIY)!!!!Black interior and those hot California afternoons just "demand" that the a/c be running before I get in the car!!!!!! yeah, a little sarcasum(sp) 02 Q45, bypass model -- posted image. especially since I grew up in Texas!!!

The only problem is you have to kill the engine when you get in and restart with the key. This was confirmed from a post on "the 12volt.com forum"

have to use the remote & key but the 02Q 45 offers up some unique challenges

Cost $100 for the parrot and 150 for the remote. to install.  THe shop was AUDIOSPORTS in Folsom Ca and he did a good job.

as a side note, I had given him (about 30 pages of variuos pieces of info concerning the variuos "oddities" of the 02Q in relation to the specific instalations.

I would recommend him to anyone in the northern CA area. Bill has a very clean shop and he is a proffesional.
02 Q45, bypass model -- posted image. Attachment: nowyouseeit....JPG (39107 bytes, downloaded 39 times)

02 Q45, bypass model -- posted image.
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Chris I'm new to this forum and you seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area, I also own a 02 Q45 and I have a Prestige aps-996a that I would like to install to use the remote start. I just don't know if I'm going to need any other extra parts besides the bypass module in order to make this work. I really don't any installers that I know and trust with my car so I was wondering if you could help me out?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic