the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Dust Cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

My subwoofer wasnt working today, and i wasnt sure why.  I went to looking, and it had come unplugged inside the box... easy fix. when i got it wired back into the amp... i started hearing a rattling noise... i thought "puked", but it was still playing as loud, but had a lil rattle to it.  looking closer at the sub, the glue on my dust cap had disentigrated (sp?) and the dust cap came unglued.  how hard is it to reglue, and what type glue should i use?

97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
Yeah it's a mutt, but mutts make the best dogs!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-383
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dangerranger96 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

the dust cap is not damaged, just the glue isnt holding up any more, so is there a certain type of glue, and can i get this at walmart?

97 F150, Sony CDX-M630, Sony XM-2165GTX, JL Audio 12W3D2, Planet Audio VX-602, Memphis 15-MC5.7
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

Dust Cap - Last Post -- posted image.  That's why I showed you the link.  It mentions the different types of glue for the different types of cone material.  And PartsExpress sells the glue.  Walmart does not.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
I'd recommend using a CA glue like the Maxi-Cure stuff in that Parts Express link.  You will likely find that same exact glue at a local hobby store, but it will likely be more expensive than what Parts Express sells it for.
dangerranger96 
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  

I got some Loctite super glue all plastics, it is a cyanoacrylate super glue, just like the stuff on PartsExpress, and is made for this kind of material, and its a lot cheaper than the stuff on the PartsExpress.  And I don't have to wait on it to get here...

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Loctite makes some good glues too.  I am surprised that it is cheaper than the stuff at parts express though, unless you got a MUCH smaller quantity.  The Loctite 410 that I used at Adire was about $25 for the same size tube as the one at Parts Express.
dangerranger96 
Posted: August 05, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
I got a very small quantity, i didnt need much obviously since I was only doing one dust cap for a 10" sub.  I have tested it now and it seems to be working, and you can't even tell that I had to reglue it on.  My mom also used some on some figurine that got knocked off a shelf and broke and its holding that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic