Fuse Blowing, Gauge flickering

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
italian_virus 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2006 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
i have currently have wired up my sound system in my 95 Honda, and for sum reason every time i put the volume too high or the bass is going to hard my back up fuse has blown (7.5A).. I currently have wired up a Panasonic deck, going to 1 Farad capacitor, to a 900W Rockford fosgate amp to, 2 10" Rockford fosgate subs. I have the gain on the amp set to about 50% any thing more then that the bass was wayy to much and killed my ears. And if im at a light and i idle my gauge lights start flickering like crazy until i start moving again then it goes away. I was informed to add another fuse coming from the battery before the capacitor. but i am not sure if that solves my problem. Also it says on my fuse box not to put a fuse of high rating in a slot that is not speficied for it, is this true?
Any help would be greatly apprecaited,
Thank you
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2006 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
When your voltage drops, ALL the devices in your car have to pull more current, this is why you are blowing your fuses.
This is also a STRONG indicator that your alternator is not up to the task of running all the accessories in your car, and with the above mentioned increase in current demand, you are soon looking at replacing your ECU. 1200 bux (plus labor...) please! ch-CHING!
FIX IT NOW. You need an HO alternator, (or soon, a new computer) end of story.
And here we are, kids, another "A cap'll fix that problem for you" situation. Wrong answer. You should have put that money into an alternator LONG ago... A wise man here at the 12volt once said: "Caps go on your head." My apologies to the author, as I cannot remember exactly who you are... Stevdart, maybe?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic