icon

98 Ram Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mykrowsy 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
how did you get yours so fast\?  i ordered last friday, and they still don't know when i'm going to get it?
big_bogus 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
I think I ordered a day before you and live in the DC area.    They are located in NJ and I routinely get UPS packages from up there the next day, without the additional charge. I guess I just got lucky when I ordered. Hopefully yours will arrive soon.
mykrowsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
hopefully, cause they haven't even shipped yet.  I'm beginning to worry.  Let me know how your install goes, Later.
big_bogus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2003 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
Well I installed the system yesterday. I spen a few hours Saturday disassembling the truck and identifying wires. Sunday I started the install. Unfortunately, my relays won't arrive until today, so I couldn't do the keyless entry part yet.
My results: The remote start works like a champ. No problems. The alarm is not really functional yet. I am having a rough time with the door triggers. I resorted to tapping directly into each switch, but that didn't work very well. I tried using my DMM on the Central timer unit, but the BLACK/ lt. blue doesn't exist and the tan didn't seem to go to ground when the door was opened. I will need to play with this today. Next problem is the Neutral saftey switch. I couldn't find a second BLACK/ white. The first BLACK/ white is Ignition 2. For now I just grounded the alarm Neutral input, but I would like to enable the rolling locks in the future.
Thanks for any help
The next problem is the shock and glass break sensors. How should the sensors be mounted (Double sided tape behind dash?). Any particular direction for mounting? Where should the mic be mounted?
Thanks.
big_bogus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  
Latest update:
I took the door trigger from the door pin switch, yellow wire. The directions that talk about a tan wire and the central timer unit to the right of the steering column aren't corrrect for my application.
Next I will install the Dome supervision relay, The shock sensor (Why does it have 2 connectors, the green on one side has a jumper from green by itself to blue and the other side has a hanging green? - the unit says the green is warn output and blue is alarm), and the glass break sensor. Which zone should I put the glass break sensor on? and how do you set the sensitivity without breaking glass?
Sorry for the questions, but I just want to get finished and have it installed correctly the first time. As soon as it warms up I can clean up the install and work on hiding the brain.
Than
mykrowsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like things are coming along well.  I want to install mine today, but i am also waiting for my relays and dmm, which i purchased just for this install
mykrowsy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
what's the best place to pull the tach wire from?
big_bogus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2003 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  
I took mine from the PCM. It was the BLACK/ gray wire on the connector closest to the engine. The voltage was about 7Vac at idle. Either take it from there or grab it from the coil. I believe it is the same wire.
I just hope we get the warmer weather we were promised for this weekend. It would be nice to get everything tucked away in the dash properly. I am not overly concered with the security aspect, I was mostly looking for the keyless entry and remote start, and I liked the two way capability and price of the 554T. So I am just wire tying the Brain up to the frame above the steering column.
If it wasn't for all of the excellent information here, I never would have been able to perform this install. I am am electrical engineer, but these installers deserve praise and the fee they charge. I am glad I don't do this for a living.
Good luck with your install. I soldered ALL connections. Take your time, place the xacto knife/razor blade in a safe place ALWAYS. I put it on the floor next to me just once while cutting the tape off of the door lock wires. My hand slipped and I sliced my hand. Not too bad, but I probably should have gotten a stitch or 2.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic