icon

making FG fenders wide

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
philliphamby 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
another question for the FG freaks of the world. haha JK. i am going to make a set of wide front fenders (not flares) for my 97 eclipse. the ? is what will be the best way to do it. would fome be the best way to get the shape im looking for? if so what kind of fome? and can you get it at say home depo or lowes? or would it be better to use wood and build it like you would a box or enclosure(with cloth FG and reson). then make a mold to get the outer shape. and then atach that to the fenders? with the mold i can always use it over again and again.
give a man a fish he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish he will eat for a lifetime.
philliphamby 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  

here are pics of my car i just sold on ebay for $16,720.00 all the work was done by me exept the motor. so as you will see i know all about paint and body just need a lil help somtimes. you will see the fenders have flairs this is not what i want for the new car build. i want a full size wide fender.

https://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/phamby/4c_12.jpg

https://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/phamby/0f_12.jpg

https://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/phamby/a1_12.jpg

https://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/phamby/65_12.jpg

https://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/phamby/b7_12.jpg

give a man a fish he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish he will eat for a lifetime.
boostedrst 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
thats a nice headlight conversion . i have a eclipse also .
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Take Your pick of different foam
making FG fenders wide - Last Post -- posted image.
When you are molding your fenders, build them the same way you would a box. If you want to carve out the foam to the shape you actually want the fender to be, that will save time as well.
Stretch your favorite stretchable fabric over your piece once it is the desired shape and glass to your hearts delight.
Not sure how you want to "build" it. You can make your piece then imprint the shape of it into a mold, then once the mold is done, glass the inside of the mold and you would have the shape of the fender with a few layers as possible.
I did my best to sum it up. Here is a more elaborate explanation from Fiberglast Corp
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
use block foam or spray foam...be sure to tape it all off well before you start...
to get them the same...create wooden sanding blocks in the shape you would like the fenders to be...sand the snot out of it till the shapes are close...use body filler to fill in low spots and holes...
Fiberglass Guru.
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

you have to be careful with spray foam (like at home depot ) whenever you apply the resin will melt it. I have heard of people useing spray paint on top of the foam to prevent the foam from melting. (I HAVE NO IDEA IF THE PAINT WORKS OR NOT JUST HEARD THAT IT DOES) You could try a small area off the car to give it a shot.

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Resin over paint is not recommended in my opinion. Something just tells me "that is your azz if you do"
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic