icon

Factory deck dillema, '04 Subaru Forester

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jay-foe 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

I am currently installing 2 amps (JL 250/1 and an Orion 200.4) into my 04 subaru forester XT. It has the premium stereo with a 6 disk changer and factory sub in the back (a paper 5x7). I really don't want to remove the factory deck because I like the fit and finish a lot, I don't think any aftermarket one will look like OEM at all and I also would like to keep from attracting any attention.  My goal is to make the entire car look origional but sound killer.  I am still not sure how to hide a JL12W3 very well and am open to suggestions but I think it will just be a JL box in the back, which is fine, I have a cover and with the factory deck installed why would anyone bother right?  So, the point of all this is my 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know if this is a factory amplified system or not? The Subaru people say no but I am not sure they know exactly what I am talking about and if so I am not comfortable messing with it and will have it all done professionally.

2. If there is no amp after the deck, and I want to get line level inputs to my amps do I need to spend a lot of money on a convertor for this? I have looked a bit at the JL "clean sweep", and it sounds great but for the money it costs would'nt someone just get an aftermarket deck? Are there other products like this that are not as much money and still do a decent job, or maybe even better? Is there a simple way to find out if the signals out to the speakers have been processed in some way?  Would a $90.00 4-channel(high) to dual RCA convertor work well or is it asking for problems? comments and suggestions from people who know would be very helpful. I know 95% of the people in these forums know more than I will ever know and I think you guys kick ***! Thanks.

rocking subaru!!!
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

In your case, I would splurge on the clean sweep, since you're looking for "killer sound".  If this isn't reasonable though, you can go for a DEI Line Output Converter.  Little bit lower quality, but it will probably run you less than $40.

If subaru told you it's not factory amplified, it's probably not.  To be safe and for better SQ, I would go straight to the speaker with new wires, rather than using the factory ones.

To hide your sub, I would go with a false floor.  I don't have any links do DIY's for it, but basically, remove your hatch carpet (if I'm thinking of the right car) trace it onto a sheet of MDF, and recess your sub into it.  Build the enclosure on the bottom to fill the spare tire well.  Put some metal mesh over the hole, put your box in, and the carpet back over it.

Hope this helps.

jay-foe 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
  Yeah your probably right, I was just wondering what other choices were out there. thaks, it's pretty much what I needed to hear.
rocking subaru!!!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

Audio Control 6XS, LC6I, LC8, Rockford Fosgate 360 are all good options for you as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic