icon

2001 C5 Corvette Car Computer/System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

After a long period of working nights, plenty of mistakes, and just a flat out TON of work, a friend of mine, and myself designed this system, built it, and are now about 95% complete. This car is a demo car for a car computer production company that the car owner and myself are a part of, and it really shows how you can combine a car computer with a sound system.

The basic rundown of the system is:

JL Audio:

• (1) 1000/1
  • (2) 12W6v2
  • (2) 300/4
  • (2) 8W3v2
  • (1 set) XR653-CS 3 way components

Alpine:

• PXA-H701
  • RUX-C701

KnuKonceptz:

• (3) 2 channel RCA cables
  • 0-AWG power wire
  • 4-AWG power wire
  • 8-AWG power wire
  • Speaker Wire

Car Computer:

Revolution Systems Innovado Mobillo Car PC

The audio signal comes from the PC as an optical signal, and the alpine processor turns it into 3 crossed over outputs, one to each set of speakers. Also, we went through a ton of B-Quiet Ultimate in the process of putting this system in. the sub Box is technically too big, but a good portion of it has been blocked off with MDF for a tighter response, and that seems to have done the trick (thank you 12volt members for recommending that).there are a ton of pictures, but they are all segregated into about 7 tasks, so they are easy to navigate. To view them, go to http://community.webshots.com/user/jleacu . Any response/criticism/your $.02 is definately appreciated and welcome.

The monitor in the Front is a K301 touchscreen VGA monitor, it has 2 composite (RCA) inputs, 1 rear view camera composite, and 1 VGA. it is motorized, and so far has been working great.

I am putting this in Fabrication because its not 100% done yet, though working perfectly, and that webshots book has all of the progress pics, which i thought would be appropriate for fiberglass and intereiors.

EDIT: The box interior size was cut down with polystyrene foam, but it was capped off with MDF that was liquid nails'd in. the foam kept the weight down while the mdf proved a more rigid sealer.

2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Difficult looking project but I bet it was worth the trouble.
Nice job.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
modena0 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

yeah it was definately tough. lots of measurements, and it was the first subfloor project i had done, so it took some research and a lot of preliminary design, but it sounds phenominal (and we havent even touched the parametric EQ yet) and the Car PC handles the processing well. There was a lot of "crunch time" work too. All that sueding was done in 3 days. We had a car show that it needed to be done by on a saturday morning, and we got the suede that prior wednesday. We finished the sueding at 3 AM the day of the show. Also what i forgot to mention is there are cold cathodes in the side vents, under the hood, and in each amp compartment. The switch panel controls them.

2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Nice, I have been wanting to do a PC setup running linux to be a super mp3 server for the car. It is not one of my immediate goals, but something I will want to do nonetheless.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
modena0 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
i dont want the topic to be deemed advertisement, but this is a prototype for our business... a working prototype, and it is a product line, we have been doing R&D with it for about a year. naturally its gone through a few hardwarre changes, and completely changed processor platforms (now pentium M versus P4E), but that was all part of the R&D. It's pretty much as stable as it can get at this point, as it's running a regulating PSU with shutdown controller, and the available power is well over the necessary power, so we dont have to worry about burning out the PSU. The pentium M is great though for low power consumption, high processing capability, and low heat generation, it's really working out well but theres currently no solid coded front end, it's basically just running windows. if you're planning on building your own, i would suggest the pentium M, but be careful with linux, we looked into it, and the driver support isnt quite as wide as windows'
2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic