Boot Amp Racks, left n right

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ultrasonix18 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 5:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Everyone,
My First post and first custom install job. First of all let me just tell you what i have, its a corolla Sportivo 2003 model a cool little car i can't wait to make thump!
http://www.geocities.com/ultrasonix18/Pic1.jpg
That is a link to all the gear i currently have and am going to be putting in the car, minus the older Alpine Amp and a different sub. (Which is one project ill me doing already know what i want to do with that one so will inform once it has been created)
The problem i am having and where i need your knowledge is inregards to my amps. I am planning on mounting them on either side of the boot (4chn left monoblock right) with the sub inbetween in that box you can see in pic1.
http://www.geocities.com/ultrasonix18/pic2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/ultrasonix18/pic3.jpg
Here in pic2 i cut some cardboard and taped what i would like to outside to look like when carpeted and finished. On the right you can see the sub box, the box is removable and can be used in 2 positions. The first is stood up as u see it there or as i call it the shopping position as it makes a heap more space in the boot. Secondly i can lay it down shooting the sub at the glass, this is the show possi and the one it will be in most of the time.
My problem is that this is also my gfs car and she doesn't want me to cut the crap out of the interia etc. My plan is to mount the amp in the side, then use some MDF sheet and some FG it fill the gaps so as it looks all flush n plush. My concern is how to mount the amps... i don't want to put big screws in through the sidewall as the fuel filler is right there and i hear leaking fuel into the cabin isn't a good idea. Same with straigh down petrol tank is right under there. + Theres the mad gf factor.
This is the idea i have
http://www.geocities.com/ultrasonix18/pic5.jpg
2 metal beams, the left hand side can attach to an area behind the tail light, the right can attach to the structual brace that attached the strut to the base of the car. with me so far? Obviously ill mount everything with rubber washers so as not to get vibrations. having these bars will alow me to mount press studs for securing the front FG/MDF pannel.
Suggestons?
Do you think this is a good way to go? Am i going to get into crap fo putting metal supports in the car like screwing up crumple zones or some thing?
Sorry for the huge length of this post
Skitish tombs... very skitish. Probably cause u told em wat happened to the last crew
philliphamby 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
ok here is what i would do to mount your amps build an inset box ever how deep your amp fits. kinda like a mold box that the amp will set in. and to get the sides to stand without any bolt holes drilled in your car use mdf to make a fake floor. then get some dowls and glue. put up your side panels to test fit. then if thay fit right mark them with a pen. remove them and use the marks on both sides to set your dowls. (dowls round wood looking thangs about 1-2" long used to hold furniture together) set them at about 4" apart you will have to drill holes for them in the mdf. then match up your dowls to the panels that your putting in. once you got all your holes drilled test fit it to make sure it fits right. if it does glue in place. liquid nail is what i use but any good wood glue will work. about the only down side to this is if your spare tire is in the back of the car.
give a man a fish he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish he will eat for a lifetime.
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Dont you think that is a little big for a sealed enclosure for that sub? i would think that would be a little sloppy when it hits... i have a 10W3v2 in a much smaller box, and i personally think it sounds just tight enough on the hits, i would think that one is slightly too wide.
2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
ultrasonix18 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the MDF/dowel idea im going to check that one out see if its feesable.. and stable if it is could make things alot easier for me.
yeah that box was made for me to fit my hyundai excel, it was the perfect shape, sound was okay as its stuffed with insulation. But i am putting an Alpine type-R in it. so that should sound the business :) its not to hard for me to fill in portions of the box too. Simple to make a box volume smaller hard to make it bigger.
Thanks for the replies guys appreciate it
Skitish tombs... very skitish. Probably cause u told em wat happened to the last crew
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
if you put filler in, i would recommend stiff foam. Thats what was recommended to me in another install, and it worked great, we used a couple blockes of it, and put some 1/2" mdf over it for some rigidity. you dont want to use polyfill cause that slows down the waves effectively making the box seem bigger.
2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic