door panels

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ajnewman18 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone

New to the forum, been reading it for about a week and loved what I saw so I joined up!  I've been fiberglassing for a few years, all learning and experiencing on my own through magazines and the internet.  I'll see if I can dig up any pictures of past installs for anyone interested. 

I've been reading through the forums and even tried to search for my topic but haven't found anything that will help me out.  Here's the situation: I have a 2002 Honda Civic 2dr with Alpine SPX-177R's in the doors and the tweeters are in the A-Pillar (You'll find out soon I love Alpine stuff).  However, with the depth of the 6.5" woofer and the way the door panel sits, I'm not happy with the way it sounds.  Sometimes the door panels vibrate, sometimes the speaker rubs agains the door panel, etc.  Right now, I have two 3/4" MDF rings attached to the metal door, speaker screwed to that, door panel over it.  It sucks!  What I want is to fiberglass the door panel right around where the factory speaker grille is.  I don't want to do the whole panel though, just the area where the speaker will be sticking out from the panel.  Like I said earlier, I'm not new to glassing, but never done this before and wondered if anyone had any helpful tips!!  Thanks to all!

people who live in glass houses sink ships
ridin4jesus 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hey whats up man, im new to the forum to and in a same situation. I have a 98 civic ex and i have some 6.5 audiobahns in the door and yeah there not all they can be. i did some research on here and on the net and found this stuff, send me some pics of the stuff you do to your civic. im lookin to do the whole panel, dash, subs, and some custom kit stuff in FG.door panels -- posted image.
door panels -- posted image.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
What material is your door?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
ajnewman18 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2006 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  

Standard platic with a small area of cloth

ajnewman18 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

Nevermind everyone, all I had to do was wait a week or two I guess for Car Audio Mag to come out with it's latest edition.  It has detailed how to do just about what I was looking for with the door panels in the "Tricks of the Trade" section.  I'll try to remember to take pics when I get around to doing it for anyone who wants 'em.  Thanks all!

ajnewman18 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
here are the pics...here are the stats...CDA-9827, SPR-1044, SPX-177R (in front doors and rear deck no pics), two amps, one mono for the sub and a 4-ch for the mids/highs (i forget the numbers on those, i'll have to dig them out). i built the custom sub box and tweets in the a-pillars. i would have taken a pic of the amp rack, but it is butt ugly and i'm going to redo it and yes, i'll take pics when that is done and i am happy. well enjoy!   
door panels -- posted image.
ajnewman18 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
having all kinds of trouble posting pics, i'll keep trying
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
that center console is a good design but it looks like it was installed pre-maturely. It is very bumpy looking and the speaker wires look sloppy. The carpet job in the front is pretty poor as well. Is this a first attempt?
ajnewman18 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
first attempt at carpeting yes. it is in the weirdest shape so it was pretty tough. haven't decided if i'm going to re-carpet it or just finish it for paint now.
i don't have any other way to run the wires, got some suggestions?
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2006 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
1> one way...would be to run the wires through the box from the back side, and drill two new holes through the mounting ring of your speaker that will fit the wires individually...be sure to silicone the wires into the mounting ring of the box before installing the sub though...
2> another way would be to have run the wires under the carpet up the front side of the box, and then split them apropriately for the sub..
2b> you could also do this over the carpet but it would look far better under the carpet...
3> and it would have looked most impressive it the wires were built right into the box...and all you would need was a quick connect under the box to install it...
the best to otions in my opionin would have been #1 or #3...
on a side note carpeting nicely is awefully difficult with a shape like that...most carpeted boxes are justed glued on and there are a hundred little cuts in the carpet to take up any slack or folds in the material...by glueing it you obviously dont see any staples (which can be used on the back and under sides)
Fiberglass Guru.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic