icon

Are distribution block fuses needed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rabreedlove 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

I'm going to be connecting up a Rockford Fosgate P450.4 (60W RMS x 4 4-ohm) and a Rockford Fosgate P200.2 (200W x 1 4-ohm bridged) amps.  My wiring kit contains a main fuse at the battery and a distribution block, but no fuses at the distribution block.  I've seen several wiring diagrams during my research that show additional fuses at the distribution block.

For this system, do I really need this?

Thanks for the advice.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
If you are transitioning to a smaller size wire on the output side of the distro, YES!!! Absolutely!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
its generally a good idea to use them. It wont hurt anything to use too many. If the run between the battery and the distro block and the destination is fairly short, youd probably be safe not using them. all depends on the equipment and wiring being used too.
rabreedlove 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I know that the 8-gauge amp wire downstream of the distribution block might not be able to carry the load of the 100-amp fuse on the 4-gauge wire at the battery terminal.  I just find it very interesting that almost no dual-amp wiring kits come with secondary fuses. 

I work in a power plant.  I may grab a piece of the 8-gauge wire and test it next week to see how much current it carries at 12V before it smokes.  That would be interesting!!!!

darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
its worth the extra few bucks for the fuse.
i'm pretty sure $2 is a lot less of deal than what ever it'd take to replace anything that coudl be damaged by fire :P

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic