icon

My system doesn't sound good. Why?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to have a front-stage bass, so I've put a sub infront in my 97 Dakota truck. Here is a pic:
My system doesn't sound good. Why? -- posted image.
All is good, but the sound isn't what I hoped for. I used to have a sub in the trunk of my Prelude, and that was a totally different story. With this setup in the truck, I barely even get my sit to shake. My amp gains are turned all the way up, but it doesn't hit as hard as in Prelude. I have a PG Xenon 600.1 powering a Polk Audio 10 inch sub (which is 500 wrms). Prelude had a PG Xenon 400.1 powering a 10 inch Infinity Kappa Perfect (350 wrms) sub. Is it because of the location of the sub, crappy sub, or something else? My box is 100% sealed, no leaks, and is just 0.1 cubic feet more than needed. A little disappointing after spending so much money and time building all this to get me an average sounding system.
josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
the location of the sub probly has a lot to do with it and the fact that you are tring to get truch shaking bass and chose a single 10 inch woofer for the job plays a big role. looks nice tho. jus asking what is the air space you have there?
bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, and located there you could use it to hold spare change when you're not playing it.  Nice work on the cosmetics, though.
Support the12volt.com
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
yeah its a shame that you arent satisfied, because that is one sick enclosure you built.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
mfklein24 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
that looks sweet, how did you make that? i would love to be able to make something like that.
- mike k
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
josh1979 wrote:
the location of the sub probly has a lot to do with it and the fact that you are tring to get truch shaking bass and chose a single 10 inch woofer for the job plays a big role. looks nice tho. jus asking what is the air space you have there?
I'm comparing it to my old car, which also had a single 10 inch sub. It was driven by the same amp, but with less power, and even had its gains turned down, while still shook my car well. This one only makes my cd player skip sometimes, if I turn it up a lot, but that's 'cause it is so close to it.
The air space is 0.76 cubic feet. The recommended space is 0.66 for the MM104 sub.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
i bet it has to do with the way the sub is facing. The way the sound waves are reflecting, they are probably cancelling each other out a bit some where along the way.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Build a small sealed wood box for it and then play around with the placement and direction to see if that changes anything.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
mfklein24 wrote:
that looks sweet, how did you make that? i would love to be able to make something like that.
Thanks to everyone for nice comments. I've built it with fiberglass and body filler. I'm not sure if covering all the steps is in scope of this thread, but in a few words, you layout the bottom part of the box with fiberglass, secure the mounting ring onto it, pull a cloth over the ring and wrap it around the bottom part of the box, fiberglass that, add body filler, texture & paint, and done. That was also my first fiberglass project...and probably my last, lol. Too messy, expensive and time consuming.
I guess it's better to see...
And here is where I've "hidden" my amps...
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:
i bet it has to do with the way the sub is facing. The way the sound waves are reflecting, they are probably cancelling each other out a bit some where along the way.
There is no second source to cancel them out. But it definitely has to do something with the location, because if I sit on the back sit, then I can feel more bass, and you feel less if you sit in the front. Standing beside an opened trunk is also very different from sitting inside the cabin with a closed trunk, and my guess it just the way it is when you're so close to it. The sub itself also seems to be lazy, as it doesn't move in and out as much as the Infinity sub.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic