icon

Wiring extra lights into my quad

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thelazerviking 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have a suzuki ozark 250 and i have 2 55 watt lights that i want to add to it.  I know how i could wire it straight from the battery or the fuse block, but i want it to turn on preferrably with the high beams. So I can switch between lows and high + 55w lights.  Does the light power run straight through the key switch and the high/low switch or is there a relay?  I don't know what the 3 or 4 modules are for in the back, maybe relays or resistors or something, i don't know.

I unplugged the left light connector and stuck the 55w light negative on the ground pin then i put the positive on one of the positives, i don't know which though but the other light got brighter when i did that (the 55w did not turn on). then i took it off and did it again and maybe they contacted or somethign, maybe not, but blew a 20 amp fuse

would i have to put a bigger fuse in or something with the addition of the lights or should it be alright?

does anyone know where i could get a wiring diagram for my quad? 2003 suzuki ozark 250

thanks a bunch
James
josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

this should do it with a SPDT relay found at any auto parts store

Wiring extra lights into my quad -- posted image.

bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
thelazerviking 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
thanks a bunch.

is there a way i cna do it without a relay too? i'd rather not use a relay becasue i'l have to waterproof it and all, being on an atv.
thelazerviking 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
what problems might i have if i just wired them in parallell with my high beams? lows i think are 30w highs are 35w the lights i'm putting on are 55w and there's a tail light that's probably 30w and i think that's it for the electric on that circuit and that's on a 20A fuse. would i blow fuses? could i just put a bigger fuse in and not worry about it or would things start going wrong there?

have a good day
thelazerviking 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
with the above wiring diagram, can i connect 85 to any ground, or does it have to be neg post on battery? and why is this if so? thanks
josh1979 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

yes 85 can go to any good ground 

as far as putting in a bigger fuse you have to take in to account the current carying capability of the wiring you dont want to go pulling to much current through to small of a wire.

as for the relay there farily wewather proof. wrap the relay and wiring with good eletrical tape and put it under the seat and it should last a good long time

thelazerviking 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2006 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

apparently this is going to kill my battery which is only made for about 80 watts.

how would i go about wiring in a second battery? or make this work

thanks

thelazerviking 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
oh and i don't want to fry my alternator or generator or wahtever it has in the process
josh1979 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2006 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

if uou are not sure how the charging system of you quad has this might be a good read

http://www.atving.com/Departments/ATV_Tech/A-Primer-on-ATV-Charging-Systems.cfm

and how about just upgrading the batt. you have to something like this. i just googled  high out put atv batteries

http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/landing_pages/powersport/UB12-B.htm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic