the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Mtx Sub Enclosure Ideas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2006 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

If this enclosure truly has an F3 of 13 Hz, then you will have exceeded all my expectations of 10" subs.

I took a quick look at this MTX driver in WinISD pro.  This driver has an EBP of 44 and so is best suited for a sealed box, for sound quality.  You can extend the low end response a bit by porting at the expense of some peakiness in the response.  The port, at 60 square inches, would have to be about 34 inches long to achieve the response shown here, tuned at 20 Hz.  Gray line is vented in 10 cu ft net (add the port displacement)...and the yellow line is also 10 cu ft net.

If it were for me, I would use the sealed.

mtx_t5510-04.jpg

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
hey stevdart, im not one to argue with you 4 star and higher smarter type, but you are comparing genaric specs from a free program to the knowledge of a MTX technician. Personally im going to listen to the technician over a free program anyday. ive found that program to be wrong a couple times.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2006 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  

killer sonata, you found it to be wrong because you made mistakes using it.  Being a free program doesn't make it more prone to error than if you had to pay for it.  You sound like some people I had to be on a jury with.  They had that same close-minded attitude about "questioning authority". 

What are these "generic specs" you are talking about?  Does this guy who works for MTX have the actual subwoofers in question and is testing each one of them?  No, he's not.  I linked the published specs, and those can be used to the same degree of accuracy that the online "tech" used...whatever software you want to use.  Find an F3 of 13 Hz...it doesn't matter to me how much you want to pay for the program; it won't get there.  At least not with a 10 cu ft box, and not much lower at all with a 20 cu ft box.  You'll realistically get 35 to 40 Hz F3 like I showed above.  And the bandpass idea was pure stupid wasted time considering it's for an end user who desires to listen to music.

I gave the OP some help that took me time to research.  He came to this forum asking for other opinions.  You are out of line to question it unless you do at least an equal amount of research yourself and come up with something different.  Use a program you paid for...whatever you want.  If you don't have anything more substantial to offer than that, don't minimize my efforts in helping the OP build a suitable box.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic