icon

motorized amp rack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure you get the connectors for them also. This will make mounting them alot easier.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
thanks man. I cant wait to scope it all out.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  

furflier wrote:
killer sonata wrote:
how does the motor know when to stop though? is this going to be way more complicated than I had imagined? I really have no problem with using my own strength to pull out the rack. I just thought it would be cooler to have it motorized. What about gas shocks from a trunk lid and some kind of lock or something to hold it in?
I think the motor goes by revolutions. As for the gas shocks, they would work. Have you price them yet? I work on copiers for a living and they use the same kind of shocks that you are talking about & they are not cheap.They range anywhere from $50 each on up depending on the size you need. Also you would need a good locking mechanism to hold it in place under pressure.
It isn't measured in revolutions. Most motorized systems use switches placed in the proper locations to tell the motor to turn off.

To get the amp rack to actuate, you have to use a heavy linear actuator. find one that can push at least 1.5 times the weight of your amp rack (with amps) Any lower and the rack will move while driving and can cause damage to the actuator and the rack itself. You'll also need a 2 second pulse generator, 10 relays and 2 soft button switches. Wired together properly it will work with no problems. We use this setup all the time for actuated setups.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

well a new found buddy of mine is selling me a 12" stroke linear actuator hes got laying around for $25. you cant beat that with a stick!. Heres the link. http://www.hiwin.com/la/laf.html

10 relays?!?!?! thats a bit overkill dont you think. Im just gonna do this setup. http://www.surpluscenter.com/grafx/Wiring_BTN.jpg

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
Think you could retry that second link for us? and our 8 relay setup allows us to use 1 button to just press and forget. (pardon me a mis-memory. wrong setup) push the button again and the system closes back up.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  

sorry about that link. This one should work. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Wire/W5-1577-12.jpg

the push and forget is nice but i dont think its worth an extra 6 relays. lol. I dont think i have that many laying around at the moment anyways. 2 is good enough for me. I dont mind holding down the button. thanks for the suggestion though.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

I'm like you killer sonata. It's not like I didn't have a hundred bucks for actuators but I can't resist a challenge especially when people say it can't be done.

I built my motorized amp rack, to drop my amp down from the rear shelf in the trunk, using a windshield wiper motor.

Why a wiper motor? Cause scrap yards and auto parts stores are flooded with them, it already works on 12 volts, has multiple speeds and worm drive. You ever try to stop a wiper in motion? She's got torque! The worm drive means it can stop at any position and hold it no matter the weight.

Lemme see if I can find some pix fer ya.

Here's the rack as it traveled about two inches:

motorized amp rack - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

This is when it's fully open. When it's halfway it changes angle as it continues to drop slowly. I also built the moulded fiberglass enclosure for my 12. 

The pictures aren't the best cause they've been optimised for the web.

I'll try to find my mechanical construction pix.

In the meantime, here's a link to my control circuit : https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=80714&PN=2

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  

Very nice, hotwaterwizard, I like the simplicity.

Now, how can I implement that into my next project? Hmmm.....let me see motorized amp rack - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

I'v found another cheap alternative to the expensive actuators from select products or auto loc. Use power seat actuators from the scrap yards, they come with all the wires and swithes you need. Plus they are capable of moving large amounts of weight. I try to get them out of old caddies or lincons because they are the strongest iv'e found to date.

Please don't miss understand me i think select products and auto loc are great companies I just feel that sometimes these companies are a little too expensive for certain things.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic