Depth Charger Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lincoln2002lse 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

Ok guys here I am again.

Thank you for the replies to all earlier questions.

I have an old Depth Charger Amp DC-400 I currently have this amp bridged and running two old 10w0 JL's.

I am wondering. If I use the bridged front channels of my 450/4.  Will this be an "improvment" to the bass or further degrade it? Is this going to give me a differance in "volume"

I do not have the spec sheet on the old DC-400 is anyone familure with these older amps? DC 400  ??? betting this was a max watt  and not rms, so then going to the 300 rms of the 450/4 shoulf be better ,,,, right?

rookie questions,, gotta love em

jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yea bridging the front two channels of that 450 will be ALOOOOOOOOOTUHHH better! Cleaner more power it doesnt get any better as long as you dont over do those 10w0. i cant remember the exact specs on those but they should be able to handle 300rms between the two. Check it out you will probably be suprized. just make sure you tune it all and check that your not pushing the 10s too much!
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
lincoln:
Frankly, you probably won't hear much difference, if any.
Remember, it takes -twice- the amplifier power to only obtain a 3db increase in SPL. A 3db increase is small. You must obtain a 10db SPL increase for music to SOUND twice as loud.
Also, remember that unless you're pushing your current amplifier to its limits, you won't hear ANY difference in SPL. Additional power is only used when you increase volume above the point where the smaller amp gives out.
People, especially young people, often make this mistake.    If you listen at comfortable SPL levels with 2 reasonably efficient subwoofers, you likely rarely touch even the 150w level. This is especially true if you listen to music other than rap.
In other words, if you never push your 150w amp to clipping, it won't matter if you move to a 10,000w amp, you won't obtain an SPL increase.
(Unless, of course, you wildly turn up the gain and the volume to show off your BIG AMP to your envious friends. If your goal, however, is personal enjoyment rather than impressing others, more practical amplifiers may be bought.)
Don't get me wrong, the JL is probably a better amp technically, but don't expect to hear much of a difference -- if any.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic