icon

Anyone have problems with el indicators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
I installed one of the new DEI EL indicators and about 2 weeks after install,the little black transformer box gets so hot from being on that the indicator starts not flashing on and off properly.I have it wired with the positive at 12v and the negative tied into my ground when armed output..Any help would be greatly appreciated..
"ole blake"
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe its defective. I've never had any problems with them. I've never had any come back. I even have two close friends that I've installed them several years ago (at least 3-4 years) and still work perfectly fine till this day. Unless you you have it mounted near the heater core or other heat source, I'd guess it was defective.
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I have it mounted on the lower left side of my windshield..Sometimes it works great,and other times it flashes,but it doesn't totally flash off and on.It flashes but it stays lit all the time..
"ole blake"
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Try unhooking the ground from your alarm and just ground the wire. If it performs exactly the same as you describe then it's defective. If it starts working fine, then the GWA output from your alarm isnt a good enough ground to power it. I had that problem on a car once with 2 scanners and a voice module all hooked up to the GWA wire, I ended up having to put in a relay for a stronger ground. But the drawback is, if you dont drive your car at least every other day, that relay will drain your battery after about 2-3 days.
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
I already removed it CutDog,but thanks.If i feel like installing it again,i'll remeber your advice..
"ole blake"
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
I already removed it CutDog,but thanks for your advice.If i decide to put it back in,i'll remember it..The one thing i remember about when it started acting up was that the lil black control box that the wires go into was so hot,that i couldn't even hold it in my hand..
"ole blake"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic