icon

Chassis or battery ground?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aaronswb2 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I recently read through my PPI amp manuel because I'm having some engine noise and EMI problems. Anyways, the manual says to run a ground wire the same guage as the power wire directly to the battery following the same path as the power wire. I always thought that this was a bad idea and that it would actually cause more of a noise problem. Any thoughts before I spend $$$ on more 4-guage cable???
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
its a bad idea to have your rcas run next to power wires. Check the resistance of all of your grounds.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

Try reading the "What is a Proper Ground" thread. It might enlighten you some.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Going back to the battery is a bad idea.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

Please explain.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
austincustoms 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

I don't remember the reasoning, but this came up while doing a BMW with a trunk battery when I was at the snake pit.  I just remember the instructor saying you should never go back to the battery.  I'll look through my book and see if it's in there.

correct me if i'm wrong though.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Im going to try this again because this site likes to kill my posts whiile refreshing. Anyways, I have a 8ga and a 4ga ground going from my amps in the trunk to my battery in the trunk. My battery has a 1/0ga ground about 18" long directly to the unibody. I dont have any problems at all. Why is it a bad idea? If you can find your info in your book, austincustoms, that would be awesome.
austincustoms 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I can't find anything, and the more I think about it, the less it makes sense.  Just to check, have you done all the obvious?  Upgrade the big 3, make sure your power is seperate from your signal, check the resistance on your ground etc.  If you've done all that, try running your RCA's down the other side of the car.  I've found that one side of the car can sometimes be nosier than the other, especially with the battery in the trunk. 
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
a few thoughts:
If a trunk mounted factory battery is the closest grounding point, this is a bad thing???
Boats of course must have power and ground run to each point. Never heard of there being a problem. It costs more, more labor, but the results would be the same as if you had a chassis ground. As long as the wire guage is correct.
Some vehicles now don't have a ridgid frame as we once knew, this might require you to ground at the battery. If you do have a standard frame, there is enough steel to still be very conductive for grounding.
If you are picking up EMI off your power wire, Sleeve it in copper braid and ground the end closest to the battery end.
Some ideas: Check your alternator. It might be throwing out contaminated power, bad diode maybe.
Check your deck grounds. if you have a Pioneer deck, they are know for fried signal trace grounds. Use quality RCA's and cables.
Make sure none of your speakers are grounding out. This can cause noise but not active protection circuits.
aaronswb2 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
I just read in a car stereo instruction book that if you run a ground to the battery  that you can run the rca's inbetween the power and ground wires and that it will have the lowest noise interference of anywhere else in the car. Has anyone tried or heard of this before? Also, how do you check the resistance of a ground? 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic