Stealth SQ

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tjw75 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

I would like some advise on a planned up grade,

I have a 94 Merc Coupe that I want to keep clean with some stealthy SQ upgrades, I have upgraded the Head unit to a Pioneer DEH-P7700MP + IPOD UNIT so not a bad start, but now its time to loose the Stock Blaupunkt speakers,  2 front 2 rear. I have calculated the maximum driver size will be 5.25" or 13cm.s. for all four, I currently have a pair of Infinity Kappa 40.1CS which are nice a nice 4" 10 cm component set but have zero bass & would be a PITA to fit, but ultimatly I have no way of adding a Sub. Im thinking instead of fitting Infiniy Kappa  52.7I front & rear as im hoping thease will provide a better range Low to High & give me the SQ im looking for. all ideas welcome

Tom

Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
If you want better lower end response from your speakers, you need to do more than just place them in the stock speaker locations. Even the best component set will sound weak on the mid and low mids if you don't have some sort of enclosure. At the VERY least, something that will enclose the sound waves from the back of the speakers so that the waves are not vibrating the door panel behind and losing all of that wonderful energy. Even if you get a sub in your car, SQ will be lacking because those mids won't be carrying their weight within the frequency ranges they are supposed to handle. You'll have nice highs..and nice lows, but nothing in between.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
tjw75 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

I pressume you are reffering to the components  " Infinity KAPPA 40.1CS " Im hoping that 52.7I's might fill out the sound much better, If not is thier any speakers out thier that might be adaptable to the situation, Im not looking for thunderously load mucic. Load ish but not excessive, quality preffered, I know this might be the holy grail of car speaker, but my car is Mint & id like it to remain that way. The front speakers face up at corners of dash I thought the  52.7I's might help slightly with angled tweeters????  as you all know 52.7i s are also 2 ohms & I dont mind installing an amp to over come this but im not going to hack up door cards for any further benefit..... my only other concession might be to look at squeezing a miniscule amp under the front seats, may not be worth it but I seem to remember that Subs can be had as small as 4" & Pioneer are also turning out some Subs built for tight spaces. 0.15-0.5 cu ft...in 8 10 or 12 inch....ie TS-SW1241D..............will not be posting again for another 16 hours so please feel free to discuss without me, Car is 1994 Mercedes E320 Coupe, W124 style....  existing equipment DEH-P7700MP. equipment available for purpose... Infinity Kappa 40.1CS speakers. several AMPS. Infinity referance RA5004 = 4 x 50 rms @ 4 Ohm or 4x 75 rms @  2 ohm. also Kenwood KAC-PS500F 4x 75 rms at 4ohm,,4 x 150 ohms at  2 ohms....laters

Tom

austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
Put a nice set of components in the front, with bass blockers on the line, then enclose 2 - 6.5" subs in the factory rear location.  This will take a little magic to make everything fit, but if you know how to fiberglass, it will.  Power everything with about a 300 watt 4ch amp, take a lot of time to fine tune everything.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Flakman wrote:
Even the best component set will sound weak on the mid and low mids if you don't have some sort of enclosure.
I disagree. I think making a stiff baffle and deadening and the door can result in very good infinite baffle midrange sound.
Indeed, you are incorrect in MANY instances. MOST car audio speakers are designed to work in an infinite baffle installation, NOT a small enclosure. For many car audio speakers, any enclosure you build will be too small, resulting in less than optimal sound.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Agree with kfr01, the stock door locations are ideal (except for the angle of the speaker, oh well...).  But it takes work to make it sound its best.  It's true that sealing front from back is critical, but that can be achieved.  And both the outer door skin and the panel need to be damped.  The driver needs a rigid mounting surface, so the best thing to do is make a MDF baffle, then seal around it.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tjw75 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2006 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

I can see your points beoing valid in making a good seal between front & back & agree that most Car speakers are percieved to be installed in an Infinate baffle style installation, but Im not sure that my stock locations up front are going to do me many favours, the speakers are tucked under grills in the corner of the dash pointing straight up to the angled windscreen, perhaps things were diffrent in the UK to the US & over here this car only had speakers installed in the dash, none in the doors & rear speakers on the parcel shelf.  I have seen a photo of the Cabiolet that had side panel mounted rear speakers, perhaps I could obtain some of these to swap in, if its worth it, otherwise it will be a case of expanding the rear shelf holes current "Stock" = 114 mm. I reckon 130 mm could be a simple upgrade. 160-170mm could be possible too but may be over stretching my Stealthy requirements........ does anyone out there no of any proper subs that are 160mm or less. 2 of those on the rear shelf would be the ultimate coup....would obviosly seal in appropriate enclosure.....

Tom

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic