icon

CompuStar 2WSS-A CM3300 Starter Relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigrondawg 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  

I am installing CompuSTAR 2WSS-A(CM3300-V.3) in my 96 Honda Civic. 

This is my first alarm install, but i am fairly knowledgeable with wiring.  I have wired plenty of stereo systems, power windows, cruise controls, and engine harnesses.  I know how to use a multimeter.  As i said i am a noob with alarms so bare with me and please don't flame me for trying to learn.

I have a question reguarding the starter kill relay that came with my CompuSTAR system.  This system does not have the remote start function.  Do i need to wire this relay into my starter?  If so why and how do i do it?  CompuSTAR does not have very in depth directions.    The relay has 5 wires going in/out of it.  I have the wiring diagram and it says:

GREEN(in/out spot 86)- to (+) Ignition?

PURPLE(in spot 85)- (-) negative when armed out  What is this?
YELLOW(out spot 87a)- Where's this go?
YELLOW/BLACK(out spot 30)- Where's this go?
nothing goes in/out spot 87

I'm assuming this is the starter kill relay from reading on the internet and the breif install manual.  So basically all i am asking is how to wire this and an explanation as to why i need to IF i need to?  Maybe i don't ... please help a noob out.  Thanks in advance.

-Ron

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Ron,
Understanding the working of a relay will get you up and running.
-85 & +86 is the on/off switch to turn the relay on or off.
"GREEN(in/out spot 86)- to (+) Ignition?"
Connecting the Green wire to the Ignition wire of your car ( BLACK / YELLOW ).   This connection means you will have +12V power going into the relay when the key in the cylinder and turn to the II position. Still following me?   There is a I and II and start on your key cylinder. Take a look at it and check it out.
"PURPLE(in spot 85)- (-) negative when armed out What is this?"
When you lock the car with the remote. You will have a ground or - coming on this wire.
"YELLOW(out spot 87a)- Where's this go?"
"YELLOW/BLACK(out spot 30)- Where's this go?
nothing goes in/out spot 87"
BLACK/ white is your starter wire. Cutting this wire in half and connection the Yellow 87a to the keyside BLACK/ white side and connecting 30 yellow/black to the motor side of the BLACK/ wire is what give you the starter kill.
Basically, when you lock(ARM) the car with your remote. Your purple wire will have ground. Since your Green wire connection is to the Ignition wire. Anyone who breaks into your car trying to start your car without disarming it won't be successful because the starter wire will become OPEN.
Why?
When the relay is activated. There are no connection between 87 and 30. Your BLACK/ white starter wire being seperated by the relay (Starter KILL) on your vehicle has no connection. You Starter basically will not spin. In order for it to work the BLACK/ white much have connection on 87a and 30. Does that help?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.CompuStar 2WSS-A CM3300 Starter Relay - Last Post -- posted image.
bigrondawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

helps VERY much...  i understood the basic concept before you explained it in depth.  I just wasnt quite sure on where the wires went and as far as why it's needed, it cleared that up as well. 

Now... isn't there a way to wire the started killswitch so that the starter will only work if it's getting a signal from the alarm?  i don't know how to explain it very well.  I read shops won't wire it this way due to warranty and because people wont understand why their car wont start for a simple reason of a fuse blown... 

Basically the starter gets power when the alarm is off and has no power when it is armed, so if the alarm is pulled from the car by the thief he has to rewire the starter to start the car, unless he hotwires it...  instead of the normal way, if the alarm is disconnected the starter will still work? 

Am i too confused about how this works?  Maybe if you explain how this system will work the way it came wired from the factory i can get this cleared up.  As im waiting for a reply i will be searching for the referance to how to wire up the starter kill 2 ways....  thanks in advance.  AGAIN!! CompuStar 2WSS-A CM3300 Starter Relay - Last Post -- posted image.

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
"A picture is worth a thousand words."
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.CompuStar 2WSS-A CM3300 Starter Relay - Last Post -- posted image.
bigrondawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

helps VERY much...  i understood the basic concept before you explained it in depth.  I just wasnt quite sure on where the wires went and as far as why it's needed, it cleared that up as well. 

Now... isn't there a way to wire the started killswitch so that the starter will only work if it's getting a signal from the alarm?  i don't know how to explain it very well.  I read shops won't wire it this way due to warranty and because people wont understand why their car wont start for a simple reason of a fuse blown... 

Basically the starter gets power when the alarm is off and has no power when it is armed, so if the alarm is pulled from the car by the thief he has to rewire the starter to start the car, unless he hotwires it...  instead of the normal way, if the alarm is disconnected the starter will still work? 

Am i too confused about how this works?  Maybe if you explain how this system will work the way it came wired from the factory i can get this cleared up.  As im waiting for a reply i will be searching for the referance to how to wire up the starter kill 2 ways....  thanks in advance.  AGAIN!! CompuStar 2WSS-A CM3300 Starter Relay - Last Post -- posted image.

bigrondawg 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

ok...  i see now...  so basically the way it is set up, my car won't start if the car alarm is ripped out.  the theif will have to either:

A: push-start my car

B: rewire my starter wire to have power or
C: Hot-wire my starter

Correct?

Cameronjc 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
bigrondawg wrote:

ok...  i see now...  so basically the way it is set up, my car won't start if the car alarm is ripped out.  the theif will have to either:

A: push-start my car

B: rewire my starter wire to have power or
C: Hot-wire my starter

Correct?

Correct, but any novice theif will be able to take your car easily if they really want it. It's extremely easy to disable any alarm (especially if not installed well) and start up any car with starter interrupt. Don't let an alarm give you false sence of security.

When you install your alarm, do it properly. Locating the "brain" of the alarm somewhere other then right under the dash, and ANY wiring you do, make it look like it belongs there and cover it all up with wire loom. Don't leave any fuses or relay's visable, it makes it very easy to tamper with your alarm.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic