icon

Legacy Series II LA1020 info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hemanjoyman 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have an older Legacy amp, a Legacy Series II LA1020. I can't find any info. on it online anywhere; everytime I input the Legacy LA1020 online, it always brings up a 1000Watt max. model, but mine is an 800Watt model, I guess it must have been updated or something. It is an older amp, about 10 years old, I got it when I was 17 and had no money to buy better stuff.
It says it's an 800Watt max amp, 4 channel. It has two 25A fuses. I know there is no way it can output 800 watts. I'm just wondering if there is any way to figure out how much power it can really output without actually bench testing it.....I don't have the necessary power supply to test it anyway.
Any info would be great.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Why is it important to know....? It's an entry level (at best) amp. Estimate MAX. 100 watts per 10 amps of fusing, unless someone changed the fuses. This is a very NON scientific way of guestimating power output. Again....does it really matter?
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, it matters because I want to know. It doesn't matter to me that it's an entry level amp or worse. If you don't know, that's fine, you don't have to reply either. There is no need to be condescending.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
50A*14.4V=720 watts INPUT
720W*.6 (peak efficiency of class A/B amplifier)=432 watts OUT
Best case scenario, that amp is 432 watts RMS, or 216WPC. 800 watts IS a max rating.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks haemphyst, I appreciate the help.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

Haem, riddle me this. I see about 90% of amps and subs rate their power at X Watts RMS and 2X Watts Max. RMS is .707, not .5 of peak. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot...over!

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

hemanjoyman wrote:
Yes, it matters because I want to know. It doesn't matter to me that it's an entry level amp or worse. If you don't know, that's fine, you don't have to reply either. There is no need to be condescending.

I truly did NOT mean to sound like that....PLEASE accept my apologies. I should have said to you, that I don't know the "formula" for figuring this out...but someone here does. Again, Im sorry for coming off the way I did.

hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Don't worry about it KarTuneMan, maybe I took it the wrong way.
It's all good.
KarTuneMan 
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
Cool Man......thank you!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic