the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Type r subwoofer burnt up! What happened?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dubzino 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I am back for some of yrou expertise. I hooked up my two 10" type r's to my bx1205 hifonics brutus amp. And I was smelling the voice coils on the first day so I put the gains down. Used it for another few days and now one of the subs got burnt out. I dont understnad what I did wrong. Bass eq was less then half. Crossoever was around 90hz.And subsonic was around 20hz. Can you guys help me to know where I went wrong? If you are unsure where to set the gain its always better to have it lower correct? Please help me guys. I dont want to blow another one.Thanks
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
How did you set the gain?
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Gains, gains, gains. learn how to either set them correctly or take it someplace that knows how. a few bucks to have a store do it for you is better than having to buy new woofers.
dubzino 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with you all. It is better
but I have never had this problem and I have had over ten different setups over the years. Always done my self. This amp has input gain of 9v -0.2v. Does that have to do with anything? I only had the gain about 1/3rd the way. But then again it may have been a defective sub as I bought that one used. Cause I just removed the working one which I bought new. And it has no burnt smell what so ever. But the other one that blew smells like a grill.
dubzino 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with you all. It is better
but I have never had this problem and I have had over ten different setups over the years. Always done my self. This amp has input gain of 9v -0.2v. Does that have to do with anything? I only had the gain about 1/3rd the way. But then again it may have been a defective sub as I bought that one used. Cause I just removed the working one which I bought new. And it has no burnt smell what so ever. But the other one that blew smells like a grill.
dubzino 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Also when setting gains withoout a dmm. I know you set everything to 0 but is this including the crossover? Or do you set the crossover point and then turn up the gain till you hear a little distortion then back down a notch.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

One of a couple of issues.

(1) you played the system too long and too loud and did not allow the subs to cool.

(2) improperly set gain sent a clipped signal into the sub and again the sub could not cool and melted.

(3) improperly wired and again, too much power or clipped signal and the thermal barrier was broken.

End result the same in all cases, blown sub.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Used sub smelled burnt and blew up, new sub didn't smell and runs fine. I think you answered your own question.
There is no such thing as free installation!
dubzino 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2006 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Nope new sub has no smell what so ever. Maybe I bought a shotty used one?
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
I guess that Brutus just spanked that woofer too hard.I used to use our Colossus(600 W @ 4ohm per ch,1800 @ 4 ohm bridged) to show some customers of other brands of speakers what REAL power was.The sound quality was outstanding on a lot of woofers but the real power handling of some brands became apparent when we stood on it.
BigDog

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic