icon

measure ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yohinan 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  

1.) Where is the correct place to measure ohms with a meter? Or no matter where you measure it should all equal the same i.e. any V/C or wired connection on the amp?

2.) When an amp is bridged the amp sees this as the ohm load being cut in half. For example say your speaker/speakers are wired to be 4 ohms in series or parallel. Now when you bridge it is this considered to be running 2 ohms or it's still considered 4 ohms but the amp sees a two ohm load?

I think thats all for now and thanks again. I cant seem to figure these out in the reading I have been doing.

Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  

With question 1, there are others that would better answer. I believe that because it is impedence and not resistance, an ohm meter cannot measure correctly on a speaker.

Question 2: The amp will see the total load of the speakers that are connected. If the speakers are connected in a way that presents a 4 ohm load, that is what the amp will see regardless of bridging. Bridging is not a function of the speakers, but the mechanics of combining both channels of a stereo amplifier to create one single channel. Basically taking the positive of one channel and the negative of the other to create one output. Most amps can only handle a load of 4 ohms when bridged.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

Flakman is correct that you cannot easily measure the impedance presented to the amplifier, just the DC resistance.  To understand why, you must know what impedance, and from that nominal impedance is.  Impedance is the total resistance produced from resistance, inductance, and capacitance in an AC circuit and changes with frequency.  Nominal impedance is a rating that suggests the lowest point this impedance will go, and is usually rounded off.  Here's a link to an impedance curve for an Adire Audio Extremis 6.8: http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/Images/ExtremisZ.gif  As you can see, the impedance changes quite a bit with frequency, with a large peak at the resonant frequency of the driver (fs).  Now since DC resistance is a part of the impedance, it will always be lower than the nominal impedance of the driver.  So measuring it can get you an idea of what the actual nominal impedance is.  So if you measure .8 ohms, then most likely the nominal impedance will be around 1 ohm.  A 3.2 ohm measurement will probably be a 3 ohm load.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
"...A 3.2 ohm measurement will probably be a 4 ohm load."  Steven didn't catch that typo.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 27, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
Good catch Steve.  Thanks!
yohinan 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2006 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so I am a still a little confused. So if I have a speaker @ say 8 ohms or even 4 ohms and it's running bridge that the amp, is that considered 4 ohms and 2 ohms respectively? Since the amp sees a load of half when bridged. Or is this just a known and it in reality does not change the ohms? Just trying to make a final decision in an amp selection and figure out exactly how to calculate ohms when running an amp in bridged mode.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2006 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

No. If you have 1 sub @ 8 ohms, that is what the amp sees regardless of bridging or not bridging. Bridging has nothing to do with the impedence of the speaker.

If you already have subwoofers, let us know what you have and how many. We can then offer ways to hook them up and the amp to drive them.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yohinan:
Flakman is right. I think the twist that might be confusing you is this:
Many amps are 2-ohm stable in stereo mode, but only 4-ohm stable in bridged mode.
The amp isn't "seeing" the speaker load differently, but bridging the amp causes the amplifier to draw as much current as in 2-ohm stereo mode. Too much current destroys amplifiers. Thus, while most amplifiers are 2-ohm stable when run in stereo mode, they are only 4-ohm stable in bridged mode.
My advice:
If you want to run one sub, don't mess around with bridging, buy a 2-ohm stable class mono amplifier and be done with it.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 28, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01....class mono amp?? or class D???
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2006 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I was typing too fast, it seems. Yes, I meant to say "class D mono amp."
Thanks for the catch, aznboi.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic