icon

lights and motors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sbean31 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2002 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have branched into emergency vehicle installations for local PD and fire depts.  I am having trouble with overheating in the power block.  After a period of time, the wire is melting the fuse block.  I currently use 4 awg PWR and GND.  The lights are capable of drawing 80 amps at max draw.  Any suggestions for keeping the wire from meltdown status.  
admit nothing,deny everything
make counter-accusations
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2002 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  

Hi sbean31, the 4 gauge wire is more than adequate for the amount of current draw you have. What type of fuses and fuse block are you using? If you're using an ATC or AGC type fuse and fuse block, you should step up to an AGU or ANL type fuse and fuse block.  Let us know.

the12volt

HotRod53F100 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2002 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

Also to add to what has already been said, anytime that you have a loose or bad connection, you get heat. Make real sure that everything is as clean and tight as possible. When you get to higher amps like you are, any loose connection will generate heat.

As I look at my spec book...4 gauge single strand copper wire is good for 105 amps but 4 gauge 3 strand copper wire is rated for 70 amps. This info was originally extracted form the National Electrical Code. Maybe your not large enough?

The problem that you describe sounds like a connection problem to me, especially if it only melts on the end. An overcurrent situation will allow it to melt anywhere along the wire, not just on the end.

Good Luck!

HotRod
markb 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
sbean31-  Hey, I do Police cars and stuff full time for EECo.   If I read your question right, I have a solution. First of all, use an adequate breaker right at your 12-volt source. Then run that to a big ol' power relay switched at ignition or with an override.  use this to power up your fuse panel. I use breakers on all high current wires. I only fuse the low amp wires I use to control my relays for components. The way I see it, the fewer high current wires in the cab the better. I actually use 75 amp relays and breakers for my high draw lights. No problems. Only switch your low current relay control wires for activation.
-Mark

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic