icon

Karr Alarm 4040a shuts off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcaxico 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a Karr Alarm 4040a in my 2000 Toyota Camry which has the factory keyless entry in it.The alarm works ok, it arm/disarms, unlocks/locks the doors etc. but after a few minutes of arming, the alarm shuts off and no longer responds to remote when I unlock or lock the doors.I noticed a thermistor in line of the lock motor in the Camry's wiring diagram. Would this have anything to do with my problem?This is the only difference I find since I have a 2005 Tacoma with the same alarm system and a thermistor is not shown in its wiring diagram.
jcaxico
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2006 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
try switching remotes around, assuming you have two of them, or reprogram them and see if this helps out.
gcorrea
jcaxico 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks gcorrea,
The remotes lock and unlock my doors ok and do not fail to work after the alarm shuts off.
The alarm shuts off after 5 or 10 minutes of working properly arming and disarming and it is the alarm that does not respond to the remotes locking and unlocking of the doors.
Supposedly, the Karr 4040a is supposed to work by sensing the lock/unlock current projected by the factory keyless entry remotes and I do not understand how reprogramming would help.
Can you explain?
I really appreciate your help.
jcaxico
gcorrea 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
let me get something right since im not very familiar with the karr alarms. the camry has factory keyless entry and the karr 4040a is an add on security using the factory car remotes, or is the karr alarm just that, an alarm using its own remotes and features.
gcorrea
gcorrea 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
let me get something right since im not very familiar with the karr alarms. the camry has factory keyless entry and the karr 4040a is an add on security using the factory car remotes, or is the karr alarm just that, an alarm using its own remotes and features.
gcorrea
jcaxico 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2006 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
(This is my second posting, I do not know what happened to the last one I posted.)
The Karr 4040a is an add on alarm for cars that already have factory keyless entry thus you can use the existing factory remotes to arm and disarm the alarm.
There is a Karr 2040a that comes with its own Karr remotes that can be used with any car that has electric door locks and no factory keyless entry.
Karr alarms are used alot by car dealerships and they charge $700 for it. I know because I got it on my 2005 Tacoma.
I already installed the 2040a to my Corolla, it pretty much works ok but on this one for some reason it will not unlock the drivers door but everything else works ok.
I guess my problem also is that I am working without a wiring diagram for the Karr alarms and it is very hard to get information from the Karr people.
I installed a Viper alrarm with no problems whatsoever.
jcaxico
gcorrea 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2006 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
use relays and tap at the power lock motors instead of the switch and see if you have the same problems.
lock motor= blue/red
unlock motor= blue, both can be found at the orange plug bottom of the fuse box.
gcorrea
gcorrea 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
the 4040a is getting 12volts from the white wire at the ignition harness correct?
and for your ignition wire you are using the BLACK / YELLOW right?
i fail to see why the alarm would shut down unless it needs some type of programming. ill see what i can find on the karr 4040a and ill post it for you.
and about the prices yes they are high. a was ooking for a shock sensor on ebay and came across a karr for like 200 bucks.
gcorrea
jcaxico 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2006 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
All connections are correct.
Thanks for your help
jcaxico

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic