measure for box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
I got it... this one is for me
measure for box - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
and the one from me to dyohn is
measure for box - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I need someone to reach over and grab a pencil and paper for me so I can help sprawl85....
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

OK sprawl, here's how you do it.  Go to your local lumber yard and purchase four full sheets of 3/4" MDF.  Lay one sheet on your workshop floor and very carefully mark out your 12 X 12 square exactly in the middle of the board.  If you are not sure how to do this, purchase a 12" square cardboard box from a local U-Haul store and use it for a template.  Cut it out, being careful to cut on the outsides of your lines so that you end up with the correct size.  Now glue one end of your 12" square to the exact middle of the second sheet.   Clamp and let it cure for 24 hours.  After 24 hours, remove your clamps and mark a line the entire length of the sheet exactly perpendicular to the edges of the 12" square.  Rip the sheet along these lines on a table saw.  This way you'll be certain that the edges align perfectly to your bottom.  Then turn the piece and cut off the excess MDF that extends from the bottom side of the 12" square base.  Cut close to the bottom, but leave a little extra.  You can trim this later with a flush-cut router bit or, if you don't have a router, a nice flat hand-rasp.  Next, measure up from the inside of your base to the proper height for your desired sides and cut off this MDF.  You will want to save these pieces as they will come in handy later.  Now glue and clamp as before the opposite edge of the 12" bottom to the third sheet of MDF and repeat the above steps to form the opposite side.  For the top, you can use part of the left over from the second or third sheet.  Just lay it across the two short sides, glue and clamp, wait 24 hours, then cut and trim.  The same process can be used for the front and back.  Assuming you have followed this process, you should now have a nice-looking 6-sided box.  If you screw up, that's where the fourth sheet comes in handy.  Take it to a local car audio shop and see if you can barter for some help to build your enclosure.  Work slowly, be careful, and before you know it you'll have spent a week and $200 on your box.

Oh, and this is for you: measure for box - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
Well I got the box mostly done tonight. It is for an ED 11kv2. I used liquid nails on all the inside seams and screws every 4 inches and then coated the entire inside with white latex rubberized roofing compound. With two coats on all the seams. It is absolutely sealed, no doubt about it. I will be thowing some polyfill in and the sub tomorrow for a test in the car to see how it sounds. Thanks for the board dimensions, and dyohn you had me cracking up. I could have thought about it myself, but I had so many other things to do and it's not like I think about sub boxes everyday to figure it out in my head quickly. I didn't want to sit down with a piece of paper and take time to figure it out when I had a million other things to do on my one and only day off either.   But.... I will post some pics up tomorrow of the little bugger, and you will get to see what you helped me with. Thanks again.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Why polyfill?? Is the box smaller than what ED recommends??
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic