icon

hooking up relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

i read the section about relays on the 12 volt and i dont understand it really so i was wondering if somone could explain it to me a little better or draw me some kind of diagram.

im trying to hook up video monitors in my car and i want to do 6 or 7 of them and everyone is telling me that i can not just run all of them off of the acc wire, and that i need to add a relay. well i dont understand how to hook it up. i think what eveeyone means by using the relay is that the acc wire is hooked up to one side of the relay and then a constant 12 volt is hooked up on the other side and when the acc wire gets power it lets the constant 12 volt wire go threw. i think that might be it but im not sure, anyways if someone could draw me a pic of how im suposed to do that i would really appriciate it. thanx

swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
im not sure how much power the moniters draws, may need 2 relays or a bigger relay. soem one here shold coem along and give soem info onhow much they draw.
but lets say 1 SPDT 30 amp realy can handel the job.
85 ground
86 form ACC
87 12 volt
30 to power the moniters
mrjc480 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  
A common relay has (5) post.  87a is connected to 30 normally.  When 85 and 86 receive 12+ and 12-, the pin pivots from 87a to 87 thus breaking the 87a/30 circuit and connecting 87/30.  Connect 85 to gnd, 30 to your monitors, 87 to a fused wire directly to your battery, and 86 to your accessory wire.  Be sure to cap off 87A cuz it will show 12+.  When the key is turned to activate the accy wire, it will energize the relay, thus passing current from the battery to the monitors.
Im moving to MEXICO and Im not speaking spanish!
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

when you say to make sure i cap off 87a becuse it will show 12+ what do you mean by that? do you mean just hook up a conecter onto it that has no wire?

oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
another question i have is what size wire can a use to hook up 87? if i used something like a 10 or 8 ga wire will i blow the relay? becuse im tring to run 6 to 7 monitors off of that one relay. somone mentioned how much they draw. the only info i can come up with on that is they draw like 7 watts so i dont know how you can figure if a 30 amp relay is can handle all that, but i did find a 13 inch flip down tv and it said that power draw was like 3 amps. but anyways im just wondering what size wire i can run from my battery to 87 on the relay.
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
or would just buying relays with the relay sockets work best and do the same thing?
bsd1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
oxygen65 wrote:

<FONT color=#0000cc size=2>when you say to make sure i cap off 87a becuse it will show 12+ what do you mean by that? do you mean just hook up a conecter onto it that has no wire?

pin87a connects to pin30 when your relay is idling. When it's idling, pin30 gets no 12V+, therefore, pin87a does not need to be cap off. Leave the 5 pin relay as is is fine.
For caution, yes, you can plug a connector and cover up pin87a since it's not in use. And you don't want pin87a to touch any metal in your car while the relay is energizing to cause a short.
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
what about the size of the wire i use to run 87 from my battery? what size should that be? or does it not really matter? becuse im using it to run 6 or 7 monitors.
mrjc480 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
Add up the amp draw of ALL monitors.  If the total is less than 30 amps, then you can use one relay with a 30 amp fuse on a 16 ga or bigger wire.  The easiest thing to do is to buy a video amplifier with built in power leads and relays. 
Im moving to MEXICO and Im not speaking spanish!
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2006 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
and were can i find a video amplifer like that becuse i have never seen one?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic