Suede inserts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joevincesequoia 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

hello forum members

I need some information on how to add suede insets into factory cloth seats.

I would also like to know how to add suede into door trim

Any help would be appreciated.

I.E. links , experiences, and so on.

Thanks

Viper 791XV,streetpilot c330,Kenwood 6019,Clarion VMA7194,PS2,Type R Subwoofers
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 31, 2006 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

How are you with a sewing machine (industrial NOT Moms) ?

Remove the seat covers and "CAREFULLY" remove the insert's. You will use these old ones for paterns for the new ones. They need to be EXACT!  I'm not much help here with my little bit of knowledge...suggestion.

Take it too your local upholstery shop.....so when it's done you can smile about it!

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  

You can use the household sewing machine, but you will have to get the heavy duty needles for it. You will have to take it a bit slow. And lastly do not go more than 4 layers of suede under it. (one side, welt, one side)

Specific information will be difficult because depending on the shape of the insert, your steps will be different. If you are novice or fair-intermediate at sewing, we recommend following KarTuneMan's suggestion for the seats. A good test is to take a scrap piece of cloth, fold it in half, and use a ruler to draw a pencil-tip thin straight line (12-15" long) sew along that line. If every stitch lines up on the line, then you are at least a regular-intermediate and could take this on without too much difficulty.

For the door, it will depend on what kind of insert you are planning. Usually, we use 1/8" (recommended) or 1/4" sculpting sheets to make the designs. Again based on the shape and everything, the procedures will be different.

If you do not want to go to the upholsterer (we don't like it >.< ) Then start with picking up an upholstery book and read into it. if you would like some more tips, post up or PM us with pics and what you want to do for a design.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic